single chain ring (tiny)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The tyre wheel standards on MTB's are a headache !!

Motozulu

Über Member
It's ridiculous, isn't it.

Anyone who needs 12 gears needs to go back to a 2x10, imo. If you can't climb anything on a 42 cog then you need to rethink your sport.

I draw the line at me cassette being bigger than my rotors!

Motozulu

Über Member
The tyre wheel standards on MTB's are a headache !!

Certainly can be if you are a new starter - baffling. I started on 26 though and now both bikes are 27.5. TBH the difference isn't huge, but there is a difference, bit faster and rolls over stuff a bit better.
I did have a go on a mates 29er and it just felt a bit ungainly on switchbacks to me - just my opinion obviously.

Best advice you could give anyone is..try before you buy!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Well road bikes now have massive pie plates on the back.

My old school MTB has a triple, and I think I have a 22 front and a 28 back. If I can't get up a hill with that, it's quicker to push.

The only thing that really bugs me with a 1x setup is the tooth jumps. Especially if say you are going along a flat section, you'll have big jumps between gears. I know the range is the same as 2x systems, but you've a few more useable gears with less jumps.

The big plus with 1x is of course no front shift and potential chain drop, but 2x is a lot less fiddly than 3x.

Motozulu

Über Member
Good choice on wheels/tyres.

As for the jumps in changes - I don't really notice that any more - possibly because I have been riding single chain ring bikes for 2 years now. I wouldn't go back to x2 and especially not x3 as there is just no points for and lots and lots against - unless you are an XC racer, which I ain't.

PS - treat yourself to a narrow/wide oval front ring - the difference really surprised me as I thought it was just more hype, but for 22 quid off Works Components I thought it worth a look. Now, when I jump on the HT with a standard narrow/wide it feels like I am snatching when pedalling and so uncomfortable - I'll be having an oval on that too.

Chris1983

My full sus is running Sram X1 1x11 group set with a 32T up front. (10-42 on the rear)

Although I'm thinking of reducing the front ring to a 28T as the 32T is a bit tall for my weak legs on the steep Peak District. Or just keep practicing and build my strength up.

However, I never thought of an oval chain ring, I will have to look into that. Based on the more efficient pedalling effort maybe even stick with the 32T so as not to lose to much top end for the odd bit of trail centre riding I also do.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I run 10,42 with a 32f and find it about right for my use..i have a 28 front for the wales trips though as i need the extra help up real hills..
nice thing with the 1x11or 1x10 is simplicty when using an mtb off road ..i cant see it being any good for road as you need the range of a compact.
High end mtb bikes on tarmac is like having a seriouse off roader for school runs..just pointless

D

Deleted member 23692

It's ridiculous, isn't it.

Anyone who needs 12 gears needs to go back to a 2x10, imo. If you can't climb anything on a 42 cog then you need to rethink your sport.

I draw the line at me cassette being bigger than my rotors!
The 1x12 uses a 10-50 cassette on the back so gives you the opportunity to still get up the steepest slopes whilst maintaining a good top end gearing. You can run a 38 tooth chainring and have the same bottom end as a 32f-42r, and the same top end ratio as a 'traditional' 42f-11r

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
And I was clearly a trendsetter when I threw a 12-32 7 speed and 36 chainset at my tourer! It does make for a light, cheap and low faff bike, at the expense of some biggish jumps in ratio.

Levo-Lon

Guru
The 1x12 uses a 10-50 cassette on the back so gives you the opportunity to still get up the steepest slopes whilst maintaining a good top end gearing. You can run a 38 tooth chainring and have the same bottom end as a 32f-42r, and the same top end ratio as a 'traditional' 42f-11r
the derailleur cage is going to be long with 10x50 ..i love the new tech but a long cage will be a snag factor..and ripping it off will be Very expensive.we went to smaller cages
my X0 10,42 is border line long cage..so another 8t ?

20150803_175849.jpg

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 23692

The SRAM XX1 rear mech has an very eccentric top pivot on the cage so as the cage moves forward the top jockey moves substantial downwards to incorporate the bigger sprocket without the need for longer cage.

My OneUp Rad Cage has a similar action on my XT mech, but nowhere near as pronounced

Motozulu

Über Member
My full sus is running Sram X1 1x11 group set with a 32T up front. (10-42 on the rear)

Although I'm thinking of reducing the front ring to a 28T as the 32T is a bit tall for my weak legs on the steep Peak District. Or just keep practicing and build my strength up.

However, I never thought of an oval chain ring, I will have to look into that. Based on the more efficient pedalling effort maybe even stick with the 32T so as not to lose to much top end for the odd bit of trail centre riding I also do.

Just don't forget, the equivalent to a standard ring of 30t is an oval of 32, etc.

Not an MTB but I've been running a 1X10 set-up on my Planet X cross bike for a while now and the new Hope narrow/wide 'retainer' chain ring has transformed.Plenty of gears for the commuting it gets used for and combined with the tubeless tyres rolls along nicely.

Top Bottom