Single chainring for road

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chonker

Veteran
I've just picked up a cross bike with the SRAM rival 1x groupset on and am loving the simplicity of it's operation. I'm now thinking about what I can do to get this on my road bike (currently 10-speed Shimano 105) with the minimum parts. I've been doing some gear calculations and I'm thinking I want a 46t chainring and an 11-36 cassette.

The parts list I'm eyeing up is:
SRAM Rival 1x Type 2.1 11 speed rear mech, medium cage
SRAM PG1170 11-36 cassette
SRAM CX-1 46t x-synch narrow-wide Chain ring
SRAM Rival left brake lever
SRAM Rival right shifter/brake lever
11 speed chain

Questions I have about compatibility of parts are:

Are SRAM chainrings compatible with shimano cranksets? I've got the shimano 5700 105 10 speed crankset (110BCD) and am looking at the SRAM CX-1 46t chainring which is also 110BCD.

Do I need a new cassette tool for SRAM stuff or is it the same as Shimano?

Will the brake levers be okay with my Shimano 105 calipers?

Do I need special/shorter chainring bolts?

Am I missing anything else?

Origamist

Legendary Member
If you're going for the minimal approach and are happy to stay with a 10 speed transmission, I'd just get a med cage 9 speed shimano MTB rear mech, slx 11-36 (10 speed) cassette and a 5 bolt narrow/wide chainring (superstar components are decent). If you want to keep your current mech, get a Wolftooth roadlink as it's cheaper and easier.

Yes, you will need shorter chainring bolts. ID are fine.

You don't need a new casette tool.

Last edited:

sleuthey

Legendary Member
Funny you should post this as I ordered the parts earlier today to replace a double Chainset with a single and a wider ratio cassette. Although I must admit I'm going for a trial and error approach by trying my existing rear mech.

Although I can't help with the compatibility questions, I can pass on this useful chain length calculator I stumbled across.

simon.r

Person
I'm not in the right place to answer the questions specifically, but i do like to see people trying things out. It all adds to the collective knowledge

Go for it:okay:

S-Express

Questions I have about compatibility of parts are:

Are SRAM chainrings compatible with shimano cranksets? I've got the shimano 5700 105 10 speed crankset (110BCD) and am looking at the SRAM CX-1 46t chainring which is also 110BCD.

Do I need a new cassette tool for SRAM stuff or is it the same as Shimano?

Will the brake levers be okay with my Shimano 105 calipers?

Do I need special/shorter chainring bolts?

Am I missing anything else?

SRAM rings are interchangeable with shimano and others with the same bcd. Any other narrow/wide ring will also fit.
No new cassette tool needed.
Brake levers will be fine.
You will need single speed chainring bolts or similar.
I run 46 & 11-32 in a fairly hilly area, I'm thinking of going to either a 44 ring or a 36 rear. You won't know until you try.

chriscross1966

Über Member
SRAM rings are interchangeable with shimano and others with the same bcd. Any other narrow/wide ring will also fit.
No new cassette tool needed.
Brake levers will be fine.
You will need single speed chainring bolts or similar.
I run 46 & 11-32 in a fairly hilly area, I'm thinking of going to either a 44 ring or a 36 rear. You won't know until you try.

Yes, the only ones on 110bcd you have to worry about is Campagnolo, they're "110bcd" actually means four of the holes are at 110, the other one (behind the crank arm on my Centaur Carbon CT, Chorus Carbon CT and Mirage Compacts) are 112... Thank you Campy.... (Gah!).. Everyone else has 110 means 110....

MTB rear mech will work but it has to be 9-speed,10 won't work*

Hope do asymmetric chainrings for 110 chain sets so "all" you need for a 'cheap' 1x is a rear mech(you'll need an in-line adjuster to help with the set-up),the chainring and bolts,new chain and bigger mtb cassette.

*I'll have a 9-speed XT rear mech for sale soon as I'm upgrading my XLS to a hydro Sram set-up.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
Hope do asymmetric chainrings for 110 chain sets

I did a couple of hours research yesterday into 110PCD Chainrings for a 1X set up. I was looking for 38T 5bolts. The ones I kept coming back to were the "Hope Retainer" and the "Blackspire Snaggletooth".

sleuthey

Legendary Member
5 bolt narrow/wide chainring (superstar components are decent).

Apologies from hijacking this thread off the OP but perhaps you could put my mind at rest. I am undertaking a 1X Drivetrain project and stumbled across Superstar Components who's Chainrings seemed a bit cheaper than the Hope ones available at CRC. What put me off was that the Raptor Chainring available from Superstar seemed to have shallower teeth than the Hope Retainer at CRC which has deeper teeth. Would this make a difference in terms of keeping the chain on? Cheers.

Last edited:

Origamist

Legendary Member
Apologies from hijacking this thread off the OP but perhaps you could put my mind at rest. I am undertaking a 1X Drivetrain project and stumbled across Superstar Components who's Chainrings seemed a bit cheaper than the Hope ones available at CRC. What put me off was that the Raptor Chainring available from Superstar seemed to have shallower teeth than the Hope Retainer at CRC which has deeper teeth. Would this make a difference in terms of keeping the chain on? Cheers.

Well, my chain has never unshipped on a Superstar Components chainring or a NorthWave chainring. Make sure your chain is not too long when you undertake the conversion.

Last edited:

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
drop bar i used sram force shifters and force cx 1 rear derrauiler which takes a 42t cassette.......and 42/42 was good for climbing

on the flat bar i went 40t front and 42 rear.....with the NX 1 sram shifters and derrauiler, the reason i went 40/42 was because was because i was using 32 or 35mm tyres

the only reason i switched back to a 2x system is because i bought sram etap. Now you got me thinking could i run a 42/42 set-up with the etap and remove the front derrauiler, as i run 28 and 32mm tyres it maybe a good option even on the road

Last edited:
Top Bottom