Single speed bike with relaxed geometry...?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AlstonGus

Hi all,
The eagle eyed amongst you will notice this is my 3rd question in this forum this week (having just joined). Just trying to make the right decision on my next purchase, and really do appreciate all of the help!

So, I'm looking to spend under £400 (£300 would be nice) and get myself a single speed bike that I can use locally, and keep my lovely tourer at home.

However, when I look at single speeds and chat to friends who understand the geometry better than me, I've noticed that most of them seem to have a more 'aggressive' riding position than I would like.

My tourer is a Kona Sutra, and before that I've always riden flat bar hybrids. I'm looking for some more similar to either of those (flat or drop bar is fine) so would really appreciate any idea on which brands or models to check out to find some more relaxed style single speed bikes?

The only one so far that I have spotted is the Vitus Dee 29 from Chain Reaction, which is very much a hybrid type bike with a single speed drivetrain:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/vitus-bikes-dee-29-city-bike-2016/rp-prod135365

burntoutbanger

Veteran
I've got a 2014 vee-1, similar bike but with 26 inch wheels and v brakes rather than discs.

I would not buy another.

Frame and fork are lovely, wheels aren't great with a clicking from the free hub since new. The stock brakes on mine were also poor but perhaps the discs are better.

I have enjoyed having a single speed bike though and it does have very relaxed geometry. Next time I buy a single speed I will be giving serious consideration to this http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/products/revolution-cross-0-16?bct=browse/bicycles/revolution-bikes or maybe even a BMX with a longer seat post.

Hi all,
The eagle eyed amongst you will notice this is my 3rd question in this forum this week (having just joined). Just trying to make the right decision on my next purchase, and really do appreciate all of the help!

So, I'm looking to spend under £400 (£300 would be nice) and get myself a single speed bike that I can use locally, and keep my lovely tourer at home.

However, when I look at single speeds and chat to friends who understand the geometry better than me, I've noticed that most of them seem to have a more 'aggressive' riding position than I would like.

My tourer is a Kona Sutra, and before that I've always riden flat bar hybrids. I'm looking for some more similar to either of those (flat or drop bar is fine) so would really appreciate any idea on which brands or models to check out to find some more relaxed style single speed bikes?

The only one so far that I have spotted is the Vitus Dee 29 from Chain Reaction, which is very much a hybrid type bike with a single speed drivetrain:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/vitus-bikes-dee-29-city-bike-2016/rp-prod135365

Bicycle geometry in terms of head and seat tube angles are all very similar in the same classes of bicycle. Differences are so small that they have to be measured to confirmed and the lay person need not worry about the differences. For instance, all downhill bikes will be in a similar grouping, all road racers in a similar grouping and all MTB marathon bikes in their own grouping of suitable angles. Within those groups you are your more experienced mates cannot spot differences and cannot tell how any differences manifest when riding. Just eliminate the word geometry from your bike vocabulary and use it only when discussing Euclid and his mates.

As for riding position on your bike. This can be altered dramatically to suit your needs. You can adjust your stem up and down, you can get longer and shorter stems and you can move your saddle up, down, forwards and back. You can also change crank length and fiddle with lever positions. Just about any frame in the right size can be set up for just about any person with normal body proportions.

Further, as al newbie, resist the urge to own a bike for each and every perceivable situation. Bicycles are multipurpose vehicles that are equally happy taking you to work or taking you around the world. Ride more, stop kicking tyres, get out with your mates, take photos and drink beer.

Goggs

Guru
Bicycle geometry in terms of head and seat tube angles are all very similar in the same classes of bicycle. Differences are so small that they have to be measured to confirmed and the lay person need not worry about the differences. For instance, all downhill bikes will be in a similar grouping, all road racers in a similar grouping and all MTB marathon bikes in their own grouping of suitable angles. Within those groups you are your more experienced mates cannot spot differences and cannot tell how any differences manifest when riding. Just eliminate the word geometry from your bike vocabulary and use it only when discussing Euclid and his mates.

As for riding position on your bike. This can be altered dramatically to suit your needs. You can adjust your stem up and down, you can get longer and shorter stems and you can move your saddle up, down, forwards and back. You can also change crank length and fiddle with lever positions. Just about any frame in the right size can be set up for just about any person with normal body proportions.

Further, as al newbie, resist the urge to own a bike for each and every perceivable situation. Bicycles are multipurpose vehicles that are equally happy taking you to work or taking you around the world. Ride more, stop kicking tyres, get out with your mates, take photos and drink beer.

That's very true for the most part until you get to hybrids. They can have all sorts of configurations from mountain bike to fast road bike.

Goggs

Guru
Yeah, sure, but he's not talking configuration, he's talking geometry.

So am I. Some hybrids are very racey while others are laid-back. Literally.

OP
OP
A

AlstonGus

Ahh thanks all for contributions. However, I'm very much just interested in buying a bike - I don't want to build it, change it or do any work on it. I want to ride it, and then when not riding it to leave it locked up waiting until I want to ride it again.

Shall keep searching!

Top Bottom