Single Speed Conversion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm completely new to this, so apologies for anything being badly researched/termed. I have a hybrid Raleigh Venture, with 21 speed Shimano gearing which I'm going to convert into a single speed, simply because the gears are never used, and seem to just stick when they are changed. Plus I'm going to put on a drop handlebar instead, therefore losing the gears will just save space and weight. Really I can only afford about £100 on the conversion. I can't afford to buy a new bike, even used because I don't have space for two - and I'm making this heavier frame single speed so that I can do up a fixed gear bike which is a very light racing frame. Its going to be something used at least every other day, for both just around the city as well as long distance road cycling. The heavier frame still gives me the option for mountain biking though. Drop bars - seems to be a lot around on eBay, are they any good? what does anyone recommend for a budge drop handlebar? Brake levers to go with the drop handlebars, again, budget that will last. Anyone have any ideas? For the actual conversion I was thinking http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/bikemongers-complete-kit-1-p.asp from Charlie the Bikemonger, was going to drop him an email before purchase though to double check it would work on mine, as this is the first time I have done anything like this. Wheels - the ones with the bike are fairly hefty, and recommendations for good standard wheels that will last, the same with tyres, at the minute I'm using a basic Shwelbe town and country style tyre, going to move to an everyday road tyre - which will lastm so not necassarrily sport or racing. Any ideas? Because its a bike for everyday use I'll be keeping lights and mudguards etc on it, but is there anything else I can do to save weight? Thanks for the help, this is the first time fixing up a bike like this, so I've probably missed some fairly obvious stuff. Cheers, Wes

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
wes kit will only work on later freehub style wheels not earlier screw type hubs , what sort do you have ?

Top Bottom