Single Speed crank dilemma.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrasB

Veteran
I'd go for something with removable chain rings. It'll let you change your gearing more easily & most spidered cranksets are much more rigid which is important when climbing on a single speed or fixed gear bike,

The chainwheel is basically riveted to the crank arm and if you apply back pressure, it becomes loose and slips over time. I learned from experience. Mine was an old steel chainset so I just welded it up again but that's not so easy with alloy.

See Sheldon's glossary entry on Swaging (near the bottom).

Thanks, you learn something new every day.

OP
OP
al-fresco

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
Thanks for all the help and encouragement on this one.

The first attempt - using an old MTB crank with the inner and outer chainwheels drilled off wasn't a success. There was a clunk and a slip in the drive chain whenever it was under serious load - to the point that the bike was un-rideable. I tried replacing the chain - which didn't help - and then bought a new Stronglight Crankset (£20 from Spa Cycles) which seems to have cured the problem.

I threw the old derailleur away and treated it to a 4jeri chain tensioner from Charlie the Bikemonger. The bars and brake levers came off a scrap bike and I'll replace them when I find some better ones.

Thanks again!

Top Bottom