Single Speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jmetz

Im currently riding a hybrid, interested in opting for a single speed bike.

Two main reasons; nice and cheap maintenance and secondly i want it to be second hand so that theft isnt such an issue. Will also serve as my winter bike.

Im keen to get one with drops.

Enough waffling, what i want to know is what kind of price i will/should be looking at paying, and if there are any recommended manifacturers etc?

Thankyaaaa

OP
OP
Jmetz

Jmetz

cheers for the help lee.

My own fault i should have provided more information, im looking at a bit less than that, although i could possibly stretch as that bike is a beaut

OP
OP
Jmetz

Jmetz

yeah thats my logic, i want a propper work-horse that wont require masses of time and effort to maintain....

Im torn, as im keen not to spend too much on the SS as i want to get a bike come spring and spend a decent amount on it.

battered

Guru
I built a singly MTB from a donated frame and bits from the shed, easy. Cost buttons.

If you want drops how about tracking down an old racer and converting it? £50-100 gets you a running bike, the rest is easy. If you really want a no cost hack, run it as is until the cassette wears out, then do the conversion. Believe me, it takes a little while.

Top tip, if you want fixie you need a frame with diagonal dropots, not vertical.

OP
OP
Jmetz

Jmetz

Where would you go about finding either as you mention the full bike, or even the parts?

Im an absolute waster when it comes to my knowledge about a bikes function and set up which is my biggest downfall in a situation like this.

battered

Guru
Local paper/Gumtree/Freeads, if you must Ebay. Ring up. As this is Blackburn, it's traditional to say "'Ello-o, I'm ringg-in about th'bi-ike. Avyer stil gor-ri-itt? C'n I coom an ev a loo-uke?" This should be delivered in a singsong tone for maximum comprehension in East Lancs.;)

The rest is spannering which is easily learned, find a local enthusiast if you need a hand.

I got a rusty frame blasted and powder coated for £30 so a grubby old steel bike is a great buy. Only snag is that after that they look *too* good and you start to worry about them being stolen.

battered

Guru
Goose, once again Decathlon come up with a proper bike for loose change instead of a BSO. That looks great for knocking around town, you can even fit guards in winter.

OP
OP
Jmetz

Jmetz

g00se said:
Do you want to go for a light bike with the 'look' - skinny steel frame, track bars etc - or really just a simple hack / stopgap? If the latter, have a look at one of these:

http://www.btwincycle.com/EN/vitamin-100634901/

well im not looking for a massive head turner, but i was thinking it would be a handy way of getting myself used to dropped bars before my big purchase next year

OP
OP
Jmetz

Jmetz

battered said:
Local paper/Gumtree/Freeads, if you must Ebay. Ring up. As this is Blackburn, it's traditional to say "'Ello-o, I'm ringg-in about th'bi-ike. Avyer stil gor-ri-itt? C'n I coom an ev a loo-uke?" This should be delivered in a singsong tone for maximum comprehension in East Lancs.;)

The rest is spannering which is easily learned, find a local enthusiast if you need a hand.

I got a rusty frame blasted and powder coated for £30 so a grubby old steel bike is a great buy. Only snag is that after that they look *too* good and you start to worry about them being stolen.

The accuracy of your dialogue is impressive. ;)

I shall scout in every orafice of the internet and see what i can find.....i have little faith in my ability and knowledge ha

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Notice you are from manchester in one of your locations, if you are still there, get yourself down to GBH, The Bike Doctor, Harry Halls or Bicycle Boutique and they will tell you all you need to know in terms of what to look for if buying an older steel frame to convert.

Manchester has a pretty big single speed/fixed gear following, the shops cater for it.

OP
OP
Jmetz

Jmetz

so the above named locations are bike shops? Are they all in/around the centre. I currently live in manchester, however my stay ends today, literally. However i will be commuting daily anyway so if each of the mentioned are the best shout i will definately make a trip.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Yes all bike shops,

Bicylce Boutique is the teensy workshop behind sandbar, you can see it from the Sugden sports centre entrance.

Bike Doctor is in rusholme, down the street where hardy's well is, there are green bikes with signs on the main road pointing you in the right direction.

Harry Hall is near the Ritz, bit further down towards the locks.

GBH is in the northern quarter. Google Gbob and the Hippy Custom Hacks
edit: http://www.gbhbikes.co.uk/ here

You may not buy from them, but they should all be a good shout for them to talk you over a SS/Fixed.

RedBike

Just be carefull going down the conversion route. Although it is perfectly possible to convert a bike for pennies it is also possible to spend an absolute fortune on what is basically an old pile of crap! Since fixed wheel bikes have became fashionable parts seem to fetch premium prices.

If you need to start paying someone to re-dish the rear wheel or if you have to start buying cranks and wheels then you'd probably have been better off having just bought a complete bike second-hand.

Decathlon have a really cheap 'mountain bike' (No idea what its like).
Edinburgh bicycles have their revolution track
http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebw...QRY=C438&f_SortOrderID=1&f_bct=c003155c018341

My personnel favourites at the moment are the genesis series of bikes.

Top Bottom