SingleSpeed Build

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Nigel182

Nigel182

Guru
As is today...

All that's left..Sort out Chain Tensioner Arrangement.

Alternate between Flat Pedal and SPD's as Toe Overlap an Issue..... can't be arsed with Shorter Cranks don't think 5mm will make much of a Differance??

be8276ef.jpg

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
That looks like you could do some serious mileage on that.

What's the dangly red bit on the crossbar?

Zoiders

I hate to say this but for fecks sake don't try using a SS chain tensioner with fixed, even if it's not a spring loaded design as it will fail in rapid order.

Your drop out's look like they have just enough room in them to make fixed work, you will just have to experiment with sprocket and ring szies to get the tension correct, it's not a magic gear but it's not far off.

Once again as well - no tensioner, ever.

OP
OP
Nigel182

Nigel182

Guru
I hate to say this but for fecks sake don't try using a SS chain tensioner with fixed, even if it's not a spring loaded design as it will fail in rapid order.

Your drop out's look like they have just enough room in them to make fixed work, you will just have to experiment with sprocket and ring szies to get the tension correct, it's not a magic gear but it's not far off.

Once again as well - no tensioner, ever.

Running it as singlespeed... just cant seem to get on with Riding Fixed.....

Will probably end up with some sort of Chain Tug as after a couple of rides the axle moves forward enough to slacken the chain...No matter how tight I do up the Axle Nuts.

Zoiders

Simple answer is to splash out on better track nuts, dura-ace ones have more agressive captive washer serrations that don't flatten or deform, stripping the paint off the faces of the drop out's is recomended as well, a lot of frames come prepped like that, it's easy to make a neat job of it.

If it's only SS then you don't need or want it to be bar tight like a fixed chain anyway.

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
I suppose that as long as there is movement in the axle nut, any chain tensioner will have limited value.

If you can get a tug to hook behind the dropout and pull the axle, that would be the best solution, but you may need to modify, or bend/force it into postion.

Zoiders

Mine work a treat :thumbsup:
Not with fixed they won't.

OP
OP
Nigel182

Nigel182

Guru
Just got a chain Tug for Horizontal Dropouts..... modified with a fair amount of Filing to get it to fit the Forward Facing Dropout....

Takes up the Tension nice.... will have to do a few rides to report back on how it's going....

DSCF0202.jpg

DSCF0203.jpg

Must admit that the Surly Tuggnut does look better...and it opens beer bottles too!!!!

Don't think the Chain Tensioner would work as the Drive side always seemd to shift forward in the Dropout after a few rides.

Top Bottom