SingleSpeed Build

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As i'm building yet another Singlespeed due to my last one being reversed over by a "Muppet Learner"

had it suggested by wheres_my_beard that I start a Topic showing start to finish......

So here it is Frame and Forks are a Duell (Dutch made) roadbike.

DSCF0153.jpg

DSCF0157.jpg

obviously a way to go till completion but hopefully ready for the FNRttC Newhaven / Brighton Booze Fest.

OP
OP
Nigel182

Nigel182

Guru
Today front wheel arrived to get Project started, rear wheel was saved from last bike....

Not sure but am looking to replace Front with the same as rear...but think it looks OK as is but not 100% sure (Opinions gratefully accepted).

DSCF0156.jpg

Obviously waiting for Chain, Handlebars (drops) hopefully winging' their way from the 'Bay' as I type this, along with Brakes.

OP
OP
Nigel182

Nigel182

Guru
Bars,Brakes, now in and on....Bike at LBS having Bartape done as I can tape them but not to well and want this done Pukka as if I tape them I'll notice all the niggling bits wrong with the job.

Had to go with an A Head Stem converter as getting bars for the Quill stem was taking too long but this will be sorted at a later date.

OP
OP
Nigel182

Nigel182

Guru
Bike almost finished but back on the Road now

DSCF0184.jpg

with Tektro Dual Pivot Brakes and Tektro Levers
Condor Strada Handlebars with Condor Bartape and a Brooks Swift Saddle.

1/8 inch Track Chain with Miche 48 tooth chainring and 18 tooth freewheel...Gearing seems about right for around here.

Not sure about getting a Front wheel to match the rear as i'm liking the look at present (but that may change !!! )

DSCF0186.jpg

All that's needed now is a quill stem but that's on the To Do List.

Rides like a dream am well impressed with it.

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
I'm impressed, it looks great! You should give yourself a nice pat on the back for that.
thumbsup.png

Personnally I'd like to see it with a matching front wheel, but it looks cool as it is.

OP
OP
Nigel182

Nigel182

Guru
Bike now how I want it

Got a Cinelli Quill Stem,
Cinelli 63-40 Drop Handlebars,
Retro Bar Tape,
and a Campagnolo G3 Scirroco Front Wheel.

Pics will be up Tomorrow after going on the London Parks Ride.

Bicycle

Stay with the mis-matched wheels!

You know you want to.

I had a bearing failure on my fixie and had to 'borrow' my son's Campag G3.

I like the 'Bitza' look so much that he might not get the wheel back now.

I think a 'saved-from-the-grave' Fixie ought not to have too many aesthetically harmonious parts.

I may be alone in this, but that's what I think.

Lovely bike, by the way.:thumbsup:

OP
OP
Nigel182

Nigel182

Guru
Looking good, +1 for matching wheels, but each to their own. Query chain tension though, seems a tad slack IMO.

DSCF0186.jpg

I use one of these on my fixed gear, TUGGNUT. I'd advise it with your dropouts.

Cheers,

am looking into chain tension as it tends to go slack after a couple of rides... think the TUGGNUT is for rear facing dropouts but will have a try.

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
Tighten those axle nuts to within a (lb per) inch of their lives.

Be sure to get a tensioner that is suitable for fixed gear riding. I wouldn't suggest a sprung tensioner from experience on my single speed but something like the gusset bachelor may be useful as it provides fixed tension.

OP
OP
Nigel182

Nigel182

Guru
Tighten those axle nuts to within a (lb per) inch of their lives.

Be sure to get a tensioner that is suitable for fixed gear riding. I wouldn't suggest a sprung tensioner from experience on my single speed but something like the gusset bachelor may be useful as it provides fixed tension.

Have tightened up the Axle Nuts as tight as possible....am going to try a chain tug on it although with front facing dropouts could be difficult have two sorts on order then if not successful will let of of the Mechanics at work try and modify it.....

All else fails will try the Gusset Bachelor...will get in touch with them today and see if it will fit onto the old Deralieur Hanger that is still on the bike.

Top Bottom