Singlespeed chain life?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Christopher

Über Member
Park chain checker or similar - I would not go just by how many miles the chain has done as the wear rate varies with the load. You can use a ruler to measure chain stretch which is a bit difficult to do accurately.

I'd say if looked after, between 3-5000 miles..

I would say a good 3000-5000 miles. If you look after it !

And when it's time to replace the chain; do you replace the freewheel/sprocket as well? Will a new chain slip on a used sprocket like it does on a cassette?

(As a recent convert to full time SS commuting I have previously been used to replacing cassette and chain together for best results).

And when it's time to replace the chain; do you replace the freewheel/sprocket as well? Will a new chain slip on a used sprocket like it does on a cassette?

(As a recent convert to full time SS commuting I have previously been used to replacing cassette and chain together for best results).
It didn't for me, I'm still using the same sprocket after replacing somewhere aroud 3,500 miles but I guess its a case of suck it and see.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I recon I must have done easily 10000 miles with mine and it seems fine. i oil it ocasionally but "well looked after" would be a big overstatement

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

I replace the fixed sprocket as well. I've got about 12 months out of mine so far, but last time I ran for 4000-5000 miles, popped on a new chain, and it sounded like a tractor - won't skip, but it won't mesh well.

Chain rings won't need replacing as the wear rate is minimal.

OP
OP
SS Retro

SS Retro

cheers guys thanks for the advice I was going to replace the freewheel at the same time as its a reasonably inexpensive Item .

Top Bottom