Siouxsie

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulB

Legendary Member
There are certain things that are non negotiable and wearing a swastika is one of them. Once I'd seen this picture, my Siouxsie and the Banshees albums/singles went on the bonfire and my tickets to see them went unused.
Siouxsie-and-the-Banshees.jpg

PaulB

Legendary Member
...yeah but a big part of the punk ethos was to shock normal people. Anyway it's a Hindu symbol dating back hundreds, if not thousands of years. Just because the Nazis adopted it for a decade or so shouldn't mean its actual meaning should be lost forever.
Look again. She's wearing a swastika on a red armband on a black top and she's obviously pulled the armband around so you can see it quite clearly. You're not telling me that's in any way acceptable?

D

Deleted member 26715

Look again. She's wearing a swastika on a red armband on a black top and she's obviously pulled the armband around so you can see it quite clearly. You're not telling me that's in any way acceptable?
No defence from me, but is this not just down to stupidity of youth, people were not so aware back in the 70's & 80's not sure how old you are.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
It's worn to shock. It clearly worked on you. Others would have seen it as a punk fashion statement rather than a statement of political leanings.

PaulB

Legendary Member
No defence from me, but is this not just down to stupidity of youth, people were not so aware back in the 70's & 80's not sure how old you are.
I'm 60 and was a fan of hers until I saw her wearing that. There's no excuse under any circumstances. No excuses at all. She was fully aware of the significance of the swastika - probably more aware because the 70s were so much nearer to the actual events than today - so the so-called defence of 'stupidity of youth' is the same as the auld 'following orders' nonsense.

PaulB

Legendary Member
It's worn to shock. It clearly worked on you. Others would have seen it as a punk fashion statement rather than a statement of political leanings.
Do you want to re-read that and reflect on what you wrote?

D

Deleted member 26715

I'm 60 and was a fan of hers until I saw her wearing that. There's no excuse under any circumstances. No excuses at all. She was fully aware of the significance of the swastika - probably more aware because the 70s were so much nearer to the actual events than today - so the so-called defence of 'stupidity of youth' is the same as the auld 'following orders' nonsense.
So am I, well 12 months short of it, I wasn't aware of it's significance at the time, despite a upbringing of US war films where the US/British were always the winners. The mickey was taken out of the German's in Hogan's Hero's & Ello Ello, you must have been really switched on to be aware of the significance of a Swastika at that time, or you have a family tie into the atrocities

Chris S

Legendary Member
I'm 60 and was a fan of hers until I saw her wearing that. There's no excuse under any circumstances.
Malcolm Maclaren sold T-shirts with the word 'Destroy' and a swastika on them. He was Jewish. It was just how things were in the late 1970s.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Malcolm Maclaren sold T-shirts with the word 'Destroy' and a swastika on them. He was Jewish. It was just how things were in the late 1970s.
Oh well let's change our views on that period then, shall we? Concentration camps were 'just how things were in the late 30s/early 40s' so let's all get over that while we're at it.

D

Deleted member 26715

Oh well let's change our views on that period then, shall we? Concentration camps were 'just how things were in the late 30s/early 40s' so let's all get over that while we're at it.
Sorry but that is completely wrong, you're trying to judge our ignorance of then by today's standards

Top Bottom