Sir Chris Hoy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
My neighbour decided to keep her cancer diagnosis private. Her son later told me that she had done it because she didn't want all future conversations to revolve solely around her illness. That made a lot of sense to me.

My old man did the same.

He told them to stuff their chemo for a few extra months and enjoyed the next 5 years before eventually succumbing. Some didn't like it, but I knew exactly why he did it.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
My friends partner didn't tell her that he had terminal cancer and was stringing her along etc with talk about a future etc. He took her on holiday and was really ill all the time. Said he had slipped a disc? Two weeks later he was dead. If it was me I'd have been fuming as he could have died at the wheel of the car on holiday and she had to sort out all his affairs etc.
I think you should tell your partner really and nearest family. If you really don't want to then you need to get all your affairs in order and not put them at risk by driving all over when you could drop dead at any time.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm sad to read about Sir Chris's illness, can understand why he would have preferred to deal with it privately, and hope that he manages to beat the wretched disease.

My friends partner didn't tell her that he had terminal cancer and was stringing her along etc with talk about a future etc. He took her on holiday and was really ill all the time.
Aargh, that brings back a horrible memory...

When I was in hospital one of the other men in the ward told me that he was dying but he hadn't been able to bring himself to tell his wife and children. They all came to visit him that evening and were excitedly talking about what they would do when he was better. I ended up with my face buried in my pillow in case any of them noticed how upset I was ... :sad:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Read this earlier; bit of a wake up call when someone this presumably fit and otherwise healthy gets struck down. Just goes to show how indiscriminate it is.

Obviously wishing him a swift and full recovery!

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
First of all, it’s nobody else’s business.

Secondly, he has two young children to consider and whom he may not yet have told, not to mention the rest of his family.

Lastly, it should be his choice, and his alone, to make it public or not. If a journalist has threatened to print this private, medical information they should be ashamed of themselves.

I'd jail the bar stewards. Absolutely nobodies business but his

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
I think I'd get banned if I put what I'd call them. Best wishes to Sir Chris and his family and to anyone else suffering with this horrible and indiscriminate illness.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
It will be either the staff or other patients at the hospital who have sold the story onto the media. They haven't just plucked it out of nowhere. Then CH got in first.

alicat

Legendary Member
I think we should close this thread @Moderators. It's obvious that Sir Chris values his privacy and I feel uncomfortable about discussing his diagnosis even when done in a supportive way.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
First of all, it’s nobody else’s business.

Secondly, he has two young children to consider and whom he may not yet have told, not to mention the rest of his family.
He did mention this about not telling his children when he was on the news the other night.

classic33

Leg End Member
Why keep it quiet, at it's not something to be ashamed of?

By making it public you are helping others like Rob Burrows with MND...

Not that I don't respect people's right to privacy.
There's still an element of shame to it, and that somehow the person with it is in someway responsible/to blame.

As said by postman, it doesn't care who you are, and money means nothing to it.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
There's still an element of shame to it, and that somehow the person with it is in someway responsible/to blame.

As said by postman, it doesn't care who you are, and money means nothing to it.

I disagree with this unless its something like lung cancer and the person was a heavy smoker etc. I think most people now realize that cancer can affect anyone and does.

Top Bottom