Sit down climbing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I tackled this hill in 1989, aged 33, in a 42/28 gear - it half killed me! I stood up for the whole climb and nearly didn't make it. I did it again today, aged 63, in my luxury 28/30 gear. I sat down the whole way and just span my legs round.

I turned left up Sandy Gate halfway up there, but there is a lot more steep climbing that way too. It climbs 161 metres in 1.61 km (528 ft in a mile) so it averages 10%, but there are stretches of 15-20%.

Birchcliffe Rd Hebden Bridge.jpg

Low gears make a lot of difference! :okay:

But most "road" bikes don't really have low gears.

In my book a low gear has a sprocket bigger than the chainring.
Or if they do, then they have a wide ratio 11-36 cassette.
A lot of beginner "road" bikes would be a lot better if fitted with a 42/26 alpine double and a 11-28 block vs the "standard" 50/34 compact double and 11-28 block.
That would give you a lot better range of gears as you don't need to pedal downhill 20% faster but it does help to pedal uphill 20% slower.
Downside is a slight loss of efficiency due to the small chainrings and the frame may need to be tweaked a little to stop the front derailleur cage from hitting the chainstay.

If I ever get fit/slim enough, then the Scott with its triple and MTB gears should be enough. I did want to reduce the chainrings, but cannot go down to the 48t big ring I want.
Wanting 28 on the small ring, but need 50 on the big one, just to make it work.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
My Campagnolo-equipped Cannondale road bike had a 53/39 chainset and 13-29 cassette. I very rarely used 53/13 except on long downhills and 39/29 didn't feel low enough. The lowest gear that I could have got was 38/30 (rings with fewer than 38 teeth don't fit and bigger Campagnolo cassettes are not available).

After some research I decided to fit a triple on so I bought a Stronglight 48/36/28 chainset from Spa Cycles for about £70. It worked fine with my existing shifter and front mech (although I had to file a small tab on the derailleur down a little to allow some extra movement of the cage) and I had to shim the rear mech b-screw-like thingy to stop chatter in the big sprockets. I also fitted a 12-30 cassette so now my top gear is effectively almost the same as before (48/12) but the bottom gear a much more hill-friendly 28/30.

There is a possibility that I could get away with a 26 little ring for an even lower bottom gear (25% climbs are currently doable but very hard work) but I think I have already pushed the limits of the transmission and it would be an expensive experiment to buy a smaller ring and find that it was too small.

These changes mean that I can sit down to climb hills that I had to stand for previously, and I can get up steeper ones that defeated me in the 39/29 gear.

It can be much easier to lower gearing on a bike with Shimano/SRAM by fitting a MTB cassette, as long as the rear mech can cope with the longer chain needed. (I put a 12-36 on my CX bike but had to change the rear mech too.)

Levo-Lon

Guru
53-39..i thought this was a simple mathematical question :laugh:

I just cant do any good hill ona50_34, i need a 32 at the back too.

Mtb is so much easier with a 30 or 32 with 42 at the back

Top Bottom