Sit up and beg

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
A friend showed me his new bike t'other day.... it had what I think you call "sit up and beg" type bars, in that your riding style is very upright. Didn't like it at all B) ()though I didn't tell my friend this... it also had suspension, which I'm no fan of either)... I'd rather lean forward and grovel than sit up and beg.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Well, it takes all sorts. I was down at the bike recycling centre on Saturday, and saw a lady go away very pleased with her recycled sit up and beg bike - her previous one had been stolen and replaced by the insurance company with a terrible £50 special bike in a box type MTB... Her husband was similarly lusting after a mans frame Raleigh, but it was mint and vintage and beyond his budget...

Depends what sort of riding you want to do. In a flat city environment, like York, or Amsterdam, sit up and beg is very suitable...

Arch

Married to Night Train
fossyant said:
Put's a hell of alot of weight on your ass though - Ouch !

Some of us have got asses big enough to cope!B)

Besides, nature intended us to put our weight on our feet, or our asses... My upper body is pretty puny...

snorri

Legendary Member
Today, common sense took over from sentimentality and I put the hack saw through a 'sit up and beg' .:rolleyes::sad:
Ah! The memories of me sitting in my little seat on the back, poking my little fingers in the seat springs as my mother pedalled gallantly up to Culloden battlefield where the best rasps and brambles in the world grew in abundance, long before the whole place became a tourist trap.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Why a hacksaw? Was the frame utterly ruined already?

Cutting up a bike that could still be used seems like murder...

ChrisKH

Guru
I have spent so long commuting on a Brompton that it feels very normal to me now. When I get on a roadbike there is a period of adjustment. Sit up and beg bikes suit leisure riders. My missus has a more upright mountain bike and wouldn't ride it otherwise. Everything has its place.

Top Bottom