Sit ups

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hundreds of sit-ups, without burning excess calories, will strengthen your stomach muscles, and make them larger, only emphasising the size of your stomach. The fat lies above your muscles.
I recommend, as Kirstie stated, pilates, and particularly the use of a Swiss ball.
AND keep away from the beer! Award yourself occasionally, but only once you have achieved something to deserve it.
Good luck, FPatrick! :evil:

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
You could always get one of the more scientific turbo trainers that counts calories or watts or something. They're small enough to go into your office so you could do a bit while reading files and I bet they would even fit in the courtroom so you could be getting some in whilst pleading.

fair play on beng able to do 500 of the buggers!

those of you suggesting pilatescore strengthening, Kirstie etc, do you have any links to some good websites that show a good range of exercises for this? i'm also suffering from the 'ffs, i've just turned 40, look at the state of me!' issues. :evil:

Tetedelacourse

How come Pilates seems a good idea but sit-ups or crunches don't? If what Tim and Walker says is true then Pilates will do nothing for excess flab.

I have a "vested" interest in this thread too.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Sounds like the swiss ball thingy would be a good investment. Although I fear I have barely enough floor space to put it on... And I'd have to actually use it, rather than just hang drying laundry over it or something.:evil:

Tetedelacourse said:
How come Pilates seems a good idea but sit-ups or crunches don't? If what Tim and Walker says is true then Pilates will do nothing for excess flab.

Excess flab can't be reduced by exercise alone. To lose weight (and more importantly, to KEEP IT OFF) a change of lifestyle and eating habits is required.
Without wanting to bring up the subject of an old, and controversial thread, MOST people lose weight by burning more calories than they consume.
Pilates training works the core muscles, not just the stomach muscles exercised through sit-ups and crunches (and NOT Crunchies :evil:).

Tete! Read this again

http://pilates.about.com/od/buyingequipmentetc/p/PilatesBall.htm

they explain it a little better than I do! :biggrin:

domtyler

Über Member
I would highly recommend taking a younger mistress, they cost a fortune (reputedly) but you will notice the difference in your waist line (probably because you will no longer be able to afford to eat or drink beer).

Tim Bennet

get some new jeans, a size larger... swap the size tag with the old ones... show the missus how much weight you have lost.
In fact, lots of clothing manufacturers seem to be in league with you as they slowly move the size bands up the scale.

Despite succumbing to the inevitable creeping age based lardiness, I can now occasionally fit in a 'Med' when I was always an 'L' 30 years ago.

Only Italian cycling kit gives you a reality check. Their bench mark is that Pantani was a big man, therefore it's only natural I will find XXXXL a little snug.

Tetedelacourse

Dayvo said:
Excess flab can't be reduced by exercise alone. To lose weight (and more importantly, to KEEP IT OFF) a change of lifestyle and eating habits is required.
Without wanting to bring up the subject of an old, and controversial thread, MOST people lose weight by burning more calories than they consume.
Pilates training works the core muscles, not just the stomach muscles exercised through sit-ups and crunches (and NOT Crunchies :evil:).

Tete! Read this again

http://pilates.about.com/od/buyingequipmentetc/p/PilatesBall.htm

they explain it a little better than I do! :biggrin:

I understand about calorie intake monsieur, and having watched Mrs T do a few Pilates video workouts (ahem, I watched on and ate Cheesy Wotsits) I know what's involved in Pontius Pilates.

What I was getting at was there are ambiguities in this thread about the best way for Fatrick to lose his flab. Some suggested Pialtes, whilst others suggested crunches, whilst others are saying neither of those help in shiftinig flab; only cardio stuff does eg running, cycling, swimming, rowing.

I tend to believe the latter but it's amazing just how many people subject themselves to exercises that are completely inappropriate for what they want to achieve, including Mrs T and myself.

Top Bottom