Sitting on a folded Brompton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shingwell

Hi,

New member here and new (well, second-hand) Brompton owner.

For use on crowded trains I was wondering if anyone had any ideas / products / tips on using the Brompton as a seat in its folded up position (I have a rack and Easy Wheels)?

If you sit on the saddle the centre of gravity is outside the little wheels and it tends to shoot out from under you. You can sit on the main tube but the protruding top-of-handlebar-stem is not very comfortable.

The best I can think of is one of the long thin top tube bags you can get, stuffed with something comfortable...hopefully it could remain fitted permanently even when the bike is unfolded. Any other ideas / products / travelling tips?

You'll bend the two little arms which hold the roller wheels. They're designed to support the weight of the bike, not yours. Ask me how I know..

chriscross1966

Über Member
As long as the seatpost tube is on the ground you can turn the saddle round and sit on it, leave the seatpost clamp loose. That way the weight isnt on the frame its on the seatpost. Good idea to have the old rubber bung.

OP
OP
S

shingwell

@mickle thank you, warning and experience much appreciated!

@chriscross1966 thank you, I tried that but as @Kell says it is still unstable and uncomfortable - maybe it depends on whether you have the saddle in the near-to-handlebars or away-from-handlebar position (the latter for me).

Fortunately it is not something I have a need to do regularly but my inaugural train journey accompanied by my Brompton was a bit of a Friday-afternoon-during-half-term train-overcrowding 2-hour nightmare!

Top Bottom