Size & best moment to buy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
JuliaT

JuliaT

Looking at it, that bike will give you a very upright riding position, so wanting to stand out of the saddle is natural when going fast or up hill.

You should be able to get a small frame road or hybrid bike without too much bother. As @vickster says, Evans is a good place to start.
That's good to know. I will certainly check in evans and after what you said I'll ask them for a less upright riding one. Thanks!

OP
OP
JuliaT

JuliaT

When you say that you can only just touch the floor - is that with your bum on the saddle? If so, that could be the problem.
Yes, its with my bum on the saddle. To be honest I don't feel safe not being able to do so, I am not very experienced. But why is that a problem? I'm curious now!

OP
OP
JuliaT

JuliaT

Yep loads of Evans. The Wimbledon one is good in my experience if out west. Cycle surgery and Cycle Republic (part of Halfords) also offer testrides. Those 3 should pretty much cover all brands plus a Giant store (big one near Barbican but others too)
I will check all of those. Thanks for that!

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Yes, its with my bum on the saddle. To be honest I don't feel safe not being able to do so, I am not very experienced. But why is that a problem? I'm curious now!

If you set your saddle low enough that you can put your feet on the ground, it will be too low for you to be able to extend your legs properly when pedalling, and this can cause knee injuries.

Being only just able to touch the ground with the toes of one foot is normal. I can understand why this would make you feel unsafe if you're new to cycling but you'll get used to it. You just have to remember to get out of the saddle when you want to put your foot down when stopping (eg at traffic lights).

Milkfloat

An Peanut

Beaten to it by @smutchin A lot of beginners will have a saddle too low until they confidence - this is in no way a really bad thing, but obviously when you start putting on the miles you run the risk of injury (as much as if the saddle is too high), so it is good to try and get it right when you can.

One way to get a good rough correct saddle height is to sit on the saddle normally as if you were riding and put your heel on the pedal - your leg should be straight. Now when you pedal with the ball of your feet you will maintain a slight bend in the knee. To do this try and get someone to hold the bike upright and make sure that you are not 'rocking' on the saddle.

OP
OP
JuliaT

JuliaT

If you set your saddle low enough that you can put your feet on the ground, it will be too low for you to be able to extend your legs properly when pedalling, and this can cause knee injuries.

Being only just able to touch the ground with the toes of one foot is normal. I can understand why this would make you feel unsafe if you're new to cycling but you'll get used to it. You just have to remember to get out of the saddle when you want to put your foot down when stopping (eg at traffic lights).
Ok, I see the problem. I will push myself to get better about that. I'm not so concerned of doing that when I have to stop by the traffic lights, I am more worried when it is a sudden stop that you are not expecting. That's the same reason why I don't use clipless pedals. But if it may be hurting my knees I will really push myself on this. Thanks

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I prefer my leg striaight when sitting and the pedal is at six o’clock, but anywhere around that is ok. The idea is you come forward, off the saddle when you stop. You can always adjust the handlebar height to suit.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Ok, I see the problem. I will push myself to get better about that. I'm not so concerned of doing that when I have to stop by the traffic lights, I am more worried when it is a sudden stop that you are not expecting. That's the same reason why I don't use clipless pedals. But if it may be hurting my knees I will really push myself on this. Thanks

If you don't want to come forward off the saddle you can tilt the bike slightly sideways - in the direction of the foot you're putting down. That'll make the distance a bit less on that side. That's what I do.

Just watch that you're not putting your foot into a pothole that makes the ground futher away than you expected :smile:

You should assess your current bike size and shape before getting a new one.
At 5'3", you are towards the low end of normal bike sizing. Small hybrid bikes tend to be quite long to fit the big wheels. They also have pedal cranks suitable for average male not short female so you are spinning extra long cranks which means that your knees go up and down more than they should and they bend into smaller angles than are good for efficiency.

OP
OP
JuliaT

JuliaT

I prefer my leg striaight when sitting and the pedal is at six o’clock, but anywhere around that is ok. The idea is you come forward, off the saddle when you stop. You can always adjust the handlebar height to suit.
Ill check to do that. About the handlebar there is nothing to do about it, it is as low as possible and as tilted to the front as possible....

OP
OP
JuliaT

JuliaT

If you don't want to come forward off the saddle you can tilt the bike slightly sideways - in the direction of the foot you're putting down. That'll make the distance a bit less on that side. That's what I do.

Just watch that you're not putting your foot into a pothole that makes the ground futher away than you expected :smile:
hahahahahahaahha, potholes are the worst nightmare. I already tilt the bike when I want my foot flat on the floor. But Ill try your option while learning to do it all the way. Thanks for the tip

vickster

Legendary Member
You should assess your current bike size and shape before getting a new one.
At 5'3", you are towards the low end of normal bike sizing. Small hybrid bikes tend to be quite long to fit the big wheels. They also have pedal cranks suitable for average male not short female so you are spinning extra long cranks which means that your knees go up and down more than they should and they bend into smaller angles than are good for efficiency.
Women's bikes can have some changes that compensate for such with shorter cranks etc

Top Bottom