Size of Mudguards

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Newbie

Hi am hoping somebody can help.

I have just purchased a 19" Ridgback Vanteo - 700c wheels and I am wondering what size and type of mudguards I should get for it.

I have been looking at the SKS longboard set but I am unsure of what size to get and not even sure if they will fit.

As you can tell I am an amateur at this, in fact I haven't even been out on it yet, I'm still in the process of getting the little bits and pieces!

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

vickster

Legendary Member
As an amateur and given fitting mudguards can be the curse of the devil, go to your local bike shop and get them take the pain for a few quid from you. They'll be able to fit the right ones too. I've had an LBS have to try several different sorts in the past, damaging the packaging and all sorts. You don't want to be doing that :smile:

It'll be the width of the tyre / rim that determines the size, not the diameter of the wheel (700c) and the clearance available, shape of the rear triangle, type of brakes etc

vickster

Legendary Member
I see it has disc brakes, that complicates fitting further. Did you buy from a shop? I would think if so and you buy the mudguards from them, most shops would fit for free

OP
OP
The Newbie

The Newbie

Yes I bought it from a shop. I'll pop back in and see what they say, they seemed to know there stuff when kitting me out with everything else.

I got my mother a set from Halfords out of convenience a couple of months ago that cost £22 and they charged me an additional £8 to fit them. I was just a tad peeved given the fact she just purchased the bike from them five minutes earlier.

I think I'll take a wee drive back to the shop where I got the bike.

Ps. This may sound daft but why do disk brakes complicate things?

Many shops would opt for clip-ons for disc brakes but insist on your full length bolt-on style, They can bend the metal to route around the brake.

vickster

Legendary Member
Many shops would opt for clip-ons for disc brakes but insist on your full length bolt-on style, They can bend the metal to route around the brake.
My whyte hybrid with discs wears full bontrager guards

Yes, naughty of Halfords, but hardly surprising for a chain. A small LBS will be more accommodating although you my pay RRP for the guards

Top Bottom