Sizing advice Dolan

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am thinking of buying the dolan tuono disk frameset.

Problem is being 5 ft 7 1/2 I fall between small and medium. Most bike manufacturers have an overlap where either size will for - but Dolan don't have this.

My current bikes have a 535 & 540 top tube - the Dolan small is 530 & medium 546.

I don't want to be too low - the small Dolan only has a 138 head tube - current bikes have 150 & 160 head tubes. Dolan are advising small - but I m really not sure - any advice ?

https://www.dolan-bikes.com/tuono-disc-carbon-road-frameset/

T4tomo

Legendary Member
can you compare Reach and Stack, that might help you decide. There are probably some different frame angles going on between Tuono and current bikes.

Will say 138-150 in head tube is just a couple of under stem spacers though and 530-540 on top tube is a marginally longer stem....

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
I am thinking of buying the dolan tuono disk frameset.

Problem is being 5 ft 7 1/2 I fall between small and medium. Most bike manufacturers have an overlap where either size will for - but Dolan don't have this.

My current bikes have a 535 & 540 top tube - the Dolan small is 530 & medium 546.

I don't want to be too low - the small Dolan only has a 138 head tube - current bikes have 150 & 160 head tubes. Dolan are advising small - but I m really not sure - any advice ?

https://www.dolan-bikes.com/tuono-disc-carbon-road-frameset/
I am in the same place with you on this, i ride a 54, but have recently tried a 52, for me it feels a bit nicer. If possible try and ride the smaller size and see how you feel.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
can you compare Reach and Stack, that might help you decide. There are probably some different frame angles going on between Tuono and current bikes.

Will say 138-150 in head tube is just a couple of under stem spacers though and 530-540 on top tube is a marginally longer stem....

Reach is 374 small & 380 medium . I believe reach on my current bike is 377.

I'm thinking either size is ok. But Dolan are adamant it should be small - but that's very much the stock answer to these questions.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Reach is 374 small & 380 medium . I believe reach on my current bike is 377.

I'm thinking either size is ok. But Dolan are adamant it should be small - but that's very much the stock answer to these questions.
and the sensible answer, its easier to make a bike bigger, but if you are overstretched there isn't a lot you can do. If you make the stem too short then steering can get twitchy.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
and the sensible answer, its easier to make a bike bigger, but if you are overstretched there isn't a lot you can do. If you make the stem too short then steering can get twitchy.

The reach on the medium is 3MM Longer than on my current bike.

My bike fitter has advised that the smaller bike would give me a more racy position - and medium a more relaxed position.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Yes, you are slap bang in the middle on Reach - 3mm either way, which isn't much at all. Depending on handlebar type and stem length you should end up with the hoods in similar horizontal position from either.

How does stack (BB to Top of headtube measured as a vertical) compare? there is a 19mm variance on the Dolan frame you linked - depending on how many spacers you currently run under the stem, you can see if you can replicate current bike from either or both (which i'm assuming, as you mentioned bike fitter) fits you well.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Stack 568 on current bike.

571 on Medum Dolan 552 on Small Dolan.

I have back issues - but worry about being to low - in addition I ride with 172 cranks which I want to transfer over to new bikes - but dolan builds the small bikes with 170 cranks - toe overlap

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Ok so unless you feel your too high at the front currently (any spacers under stem?) it looks like the medium Dolan is nearer your current bike.

If you feel you want to be more arse up / head down then go small.
I don't want to be too low
based on ^^
Medium
* i take no responsibility if its too big :laugh:👍

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Ok so unless you feel your too high at the front currently (any spacers under stem?) it looks like the medium Dolan is nearer your current bike.

If you feel you want to be more arse up / head down then go small.

based on ^^
Medium
* i take no responsibility if its too big :laugh:👍

Thats my thinking - but Dolan are adamant that small is correct - which sort of makes me nervous. Yes spaces under stem.

vickster

Legendary Member
Thats my thinking - but Dolan are adamant that small is correct - which sort of makes me nervous. Yes spaces under stem.
Take a trip up the M6 to Preston** and try them :okay:

** or wherever they are in Lancs (actually closer to the OP in the W Mids)

Last edited:
OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Given the amount you are planning on spending would putting £50 in your petrol tank and having a drive to Terry's place be a good investment? I'll buy you a coffee when you are here!
I've never found test rides that revealing to be honest. Its only after I've done regular or long rides that I will know if its right or not.

Top Bottom