Sizing clothes...drives me mad !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yenrod

Dayvo said:
The 34" were sized incorrectly! ;)

:blush:

LizardEye

I made the mistake of buying a Castelli jersey off ebay that was sized as XXL.

They obviously don't have any fat people in Italy as I looked like Daffyd the only gay in the village in one of his fetching rubber sailor suits.

Gave the family a laugh though.

I am Spartacus

Über Member
LizardEye said:

They obviously don't have any fat people in Italy as I looked like Daffyd the only gay in the village in one of his fetching rubber sailor suits.

With Italian gear even I have no hesitation in ordering 2xl ..3xl upwards.. they definitely do not cater for BMI in excess of 22 when it comes to D&G designed Giro d'Italia stuff!

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
My problem is with bib tights. Admittedly I'm built like an ape - long body short legs, but even so...
If I get one that fits me round the waist I can't stand up straight; and if I get one that doesn't try to introduce my knackers to my tonsils the legs would suit an elephant.

OP
OP
B

beachcaster

Kestevan said:
My problem is with bib tights. Admittedly I'm built like an ape - long body short legs, but even so...
If I get one that fits me round the waist I can't stand up straight; and if I get one that doesn't try to introduce my knackers to my tonsils the legs would suit an elephant.

they sound like they might fit me a treat :laugh:

barry

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
Why can't they do tracky bottoms and cycling/running pants in two sizes, like they do other trousers?

I have a 31" waist but a 34" inside leg - which equates to a "small" waist and a "large" leg. So I either have them fit fine round the waist so that they look like shorts on me, or I have them long enough but so that they look like a pair of parachutes ...

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
Sorry to bump this thread, but I am also getting fed up with cycle clothing sizing. I am normally a large for tops in normal clothes but have lost a bit of weight and can now fit into medium. Cycling clothing is just terrible though, I bought a Gore windproof top and had to return it as the large was just way too tight. So I thought that I would buy a brand that I know Endura, as I have a large sized Gridlock jacket and it fits superbly, so I went for an FS260 long sleeved jersey in large. The thing is tight as hell around the shoulders and digging into my armpits, yet the lenght of the arms is fine. It is going to have to go back to chain reaction and I will have to pay the postage because of Endura's sh1tty sizing :angry: I do not know whether to risk an XL or try another brand, which again will be a lottery. I have a large Lusso Breathe 2 long sleeve jersey and the fit is superb, but that is the only one Chain Reaction sell and I want something a touch warmer. Maybe should look somewhere else. I wish I had a decent bike shop near by as I am fed up of this lottery in sizing.

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
Yup, clothing sizes are crazy, they really seem to be sized for skinny pro cyclists.

I really wanted a Gore Phantom jacket, by the time I could get my arms down the sleeves (16 inch biceps) I was in XXXL teritory and the jacket was too baggy, and the arms still too tight but waaaay to long, about a 4 inch turn up to get them to fit to my wrists. Also ther collar was still tight-ish on my 17 inch neck.

I ended up with an Altura windproof in XL that fits very nicely.
Going to have to loose alot of weight before I can get into the exotic stuff.

Altura / Endura comparison.
Endura is a good fit, arms perfect length on the bike, body a reasonable close fit without emphasing the belly too much.
Same size Altura, arms waaay too short, halfway up my forearms on the bike.

Endura Humvees 3/4 are also a reasonble fit on me BUT one of the other 3/4 length shorts is very baggy for the same size (apparently allows for wearing mtb armor under it, but do any of the retailers tell you that? Course not)

I also used to be a high street XL, pretty much everywhere. Try it now and it just hangs off me and I know I haven't changed size as my old garage/garden/fettling clothes are XL and still fit the same as the newer 'L' stuff

GrasB

Veteran
I have a problem with trousers too.

I measure up a 32" waist, but when I go into Gent's clothes shops, I can't get my thighs down the legs of 32" waistband trousers.

I have found a supplier who does a 32" on the large side. More like 33" to be honest. The thighs are tight but manageable.

34" with a belt work, but there are 'Z's in the waistband.

As jerseys go. A 'M' size could be 2" different from manufacturer to manufacturer.
I'm a nominal 28" waist, 30" long leg but I've got just over 20.5" thighs... I'm so glad work clothes are smartish causal as I can raid the local out door pursuits store for the loosest fit combat trousers

:whistle: ... I buy Castelli kit in their smallest size so I can get kit that fits me properly. :biggrin:

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I'm a nominal 28" waist, 30" long leg but I've got just over 20.5" thighs... I'm so glad work clothes are smartish causal as I can raid the local out door pursuits store for the loosest fit combat trousers

:whistle: ... I buy Castelli kit in their smallest size so I can get kit that fits me properly. :biggrin:

Yeah, that'll all change when you hit puberty though

D

Deleted member 1258

Yup, clothing sizes are crazy, they really seem to be sized for skinny pro cyclists.

I really wanted a Gore Phantom jacket, by the time I could get my arms down the sleeves (16 inch biceps) I was in XXXL teritory and the jacket was too baggy, and the arms still too tight but waaaay to long, about a 4 inch turn up to get them to fit to my wrists. Also ther collar was still tight-ish on my 17 inch neck.

I ended up with an Altura windproof in XL that fits very nicely.
Going to have to loose alot of weight before I can get into the exotic stuff.

That's my trouble with cycle clothing, I'm a bit chunky, 35 waist, 29 inside leg, a fat arse and heavy thighs. I find most cycle stuff seems to be made for people that are long and skinny and I can't get a good fit. I'm looking at a pair of these http://www.corinnedennis.co.uk/shorts/traditional-style-touring-shorts-1.html for the summer but I'm a bit suspicious about the fit, I'm between large and x large on there size chart and I suspect they are not a very generous fit.

BikeCurious

Über Member
I have a similar problem getting bib tights. I'm a bit fat round the middle with a 36" waist. Got a pair from Gore in size large. Legs too long but a bit tight on the quads and round the waist. If I got the next size up the legs would be even longer. They assume that if one measurement goes up everything else scales up proportionately. I don't need a 36 waist because i'm 7 foot tall and everything else has scaled up, it's because i'm fat. Need to find a manufacturer that realises this.

Top Bottom