Sizing for Road Bike: Did I buy too small?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JasonMinhas

Hello everyone, excited to be apart of the community. I just bought my first road bike. My main concern is how high my knee comes up when the crank is at 12 o'clock. When the crank is at 6 o'clock my leg angle seems fine. I'm 6'1" with an inseam of 84 cm. I've seen threads discussing changing the crank length but I'm not sure if that will solve the issue. I appreciate any feedback I can get. Thanks!

Here's a link to the bike I bought: https://www.bikesonline.com/2019-polygon-strattos-s7-shimano-105-22-speed-carb

Attachments

• crank at 3.jpg
    crank at 3.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 91
  • crank at 6.jpg
    crank at 6.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 92
  • crank at 9.jpg
    crank at 9.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 91
  • crank at 12.jpg
    crank at 12.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 88

si_c

Guru
Doesn't look particularly small - did you get an XL frame?

One thing that might help is that the saddle looks like it could do with going up a tad further.

Welcome to the forums :welcome:

MntnMan62

Über Member
I concur. Raise your saddle a bit. When your foot is at the bottom of the pedal stroke your knee should be only slightly bent. If you point your heel towards the ground in that position you should be able to have your leg straight or very very slightly bent.

vickster

Legendary Member
Saddle up, you shouldn’t be able to reach ground when seated until you tip the bike to one side (or tippy toes at most)

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
Probably better than too big a frame.
Definitely seat is too low. As said your leg should be only just off straight when the crank is in line with the seat tube.
When you ride up hill in the saddle and your hands on the top middle of the bars you want to feel that you are able to utiluse all your strength.
Any other adjustments are easy enough to tweak with stem length or saddle fore and aft shifts.
As mentioned above though, check that your seat pin is not over its maximum extension.
Best wishes

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I think the dog needs moving back a bit as well .

boydj

Legendary Member
Better too small than too big. However, the size looks fine, it just needs the saddle up a bit. Then fine tune with maybe a slightly longer stem, but only after you've got a few miles under your belt and got to know how the setup is working.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I hate to go against the flow but your images suggest to me you are tall, possibly well built person. I feel the frame is too small for you, anything you do will be a compromise.

In your position I would find some local professional advice. If it is wrong try to return or exchange the bike.

This can be the problem with buying online.

That bag will mark your frame unless you've put some tape over where it touches. Personally I'd get a saddle bag first.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I'm with PaulSB, you look a big chap and that bike looks small for you in those pics. But, slightly too small is better than too big, so that's one plus and let's hope that seat post has enough left to bring your leg straight at the bottom of the pedal stroke.
Those handlebars are a bit "hello sailor" as well, brake lever hoods should be reasonably level and not quite pointing at the sky, so maybe the stem needs raising and the bars rotating forward slightly.

But first, raise that saddle 6 inches at least and go from there.

Top Bottom