Sizing of cycling shorts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I bought a couple of cycling shorts for the first time. I have to pull them up to mid stomach so the padding is between my legs. The leg bottom of the legs of the shorts are not too tight but cling to my legs. The padding seems to be a bit low at front but fit fine at the rear. I tried riding my bike (around the block) everything seemed fine except my jiggly bits seemed to have slight movement though not uncomfortably. Does the sizing sound correct for me?

vickster

Legendary Member
What make are they? They sound too big?

Similar size to me ... rule of thumb if you buy euro clothing castelli/assos/nalini etc go a size up from your normal size.
if they are british.. large would probable be your fit.. They do sound a bit large for you XL ! they need to be pinch tight ...the elastic should be tight around the leg above the knee. also the bibs strings should be tight on your chest/back.(if they are bib shorts).

You will probably lose weight in time too ... Xl keep hold of them you never know ... padding renew or ripped pair exchange
always got to have spare pair. Think I have about 7 spares shorts through weight losses . tops lost count ?

e-rider

crappy member
I bought a couple of cycling shorts for the first time. I have to pull them up to mid stomach so the padding is between my legs. The leg bottom of the legs of the shorts are not too tight but cling to my legs. The padding seems to be a bit low at front but fit fine at the rear. I tried riding my bike (around the block) everything seemed fine except my jiggly bits seemed to have slight movement though not uncomfortably. Does the sizing sound correct for me?
the cheaper end of the market usually have poor fit and poor 'padding' as you call it - a decent pair of shorts will cost you £100+ - Try Assos Uno shorts

vickster

Legendary Member
You don't need to spend £100+ Unless you want to. Go to Edinburgh bike company in newcastle. try a few on ( much more choice in store for blokes) and buy the ones that fit best

MisterStan

Label Required
the cheaper end of the market usually have poor fit and poor 'padding' as you call it - a decent pair of shorts will cost you £100+ - Try Assos Uno shorts

I'm sorry, but that is horse p*ss. OP you do not have to spend £100 plus on a decent pair of shorts.
Try Wiggle - they have lots of brands and styles available, you could order several pairs and return those you don't want for free.

e- rider has a point if you want comfort in the saddle on a 60 mile plus ride With high cadence you need a good pair of bibs..
Assos is the best on the market ! fact . When out on a club weekend run I would nt be would out mine ..
depends on the mileage you do . low end of the market bibs would be ok on 30 m or less ride ..
unless you want to act out a john wayne scene in work Monday morning and stand at your desk all day unable to sit down !

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Cyclist from Aldi here, very happy with their cycleshorts. I'm a 36" waist in trousers and size large fits me fine. Also a fan of Decathlon's shorts. I've done 60 miles in those no problem.

£100 would be halfway to a new gun or set of wheels for me!

Cyclist from Aldi here, very happy with their cycleshorts. I'm a 36" waist in trousers and size large fits me fine. Also a fan of Decathlon's shorts. I've done 60 miles in those no problem.

£100 would be halfway to a new gun or set of wheels for me!

If you have a high cadence and your average speeds around 28 mph for 4 hours
in theory your legs are tuning more revolutions ! You would nt blink an eye at parting with 100 £ ^_^

Top Bottom