Sizing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twitchboy

Regular
I'm 15 stone/96 Kgs and 5ft 9". I want to buy this bike but alas the regular size (medium) is out of stock.

If a bike you want is on sale at a good price but the size you are isn't in stock, is it better to go a size up or a size down? I have never really understood bike sizing and have always had a preference for slightly smaller bikes as they seem to be more maneuverable in the city. If I went for the small because the medium isn't in stock, would it be a silly thing to do?

http://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/mount...ndale-trail-sl-29-ss-mountain-bike-2014-p1967

vickster

Legendary Member
It's better to buy a different bike that is the right size! If you are truly in between, then down a size, easier to lengthen a bike a little than make it smaller

Pauls cycles do good deals on MTBs, perhaps see what they have

OP
OP
T

twitchboy

Regular
It's just so damn hard to find a single speed mountain bike these days. Especially one for less than £500 like the one above. I have never had a 29er before. Previously all my bikes have been 26" and on a 26" I am always a medium. Does the wheel size make it any more likely that a small might be a decent fit?

vickster

Legendary Member
Why not phone triton and ask their opinion? Can you find a cannondale stockist with 29ers? Yes, they do come up more stretched than a ht MTB I think, look at the geometries

I'd not even sussed that it was a SS, apologies

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I'm 15 stone/96 Kgs and 5ft 9". I want to buy this bike but alas the regular size (medium) is out of stock.

If a bike you want is on sale at a good price but the size you are isn't in stock, is it better to go a size up or a size down? I have never really understood bike sizing and have always had a preference for slightly smaller bikes as they seem to be more maneuverable in the city. If I went for the small because the medium isn't in stock, would it be a silly thing to do?

http://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/mount...ndale-trail-sl-29-ss-mountain-bike-2014-p1967

Dont even consider getting the wrong size bike just because its a good buy. You will keep a bike for years and do lots of miles hopefully ,you can upgrade the components but the frame will allways be wrong.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I am 5' 6" and (before it was stolen last month) I rode small i.e. 15" and could have managed a medium. At 5' 9" small does sound too er "small" for you.
As others have said-I would wait and pay the extra or find another bike in the right size.

OP
OP
T

twitchboy

Regular
Yeah I think it's best if I don't chance it. Having to return a bike is a pain in the arse. If anyone can find a decent medium sized single speed mountain bike for around £500/£600 then let me know.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

twitchboy

Regular
Actually, that charge cooker looks quality. Cheers. I think I may have to investigate further. I know nothing about the components between those two bikes and which ones are better. I'm basically looking for the bike that can take the most abuse lol.

Top Bottom