Skelton Grange Steps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Venod

Eh up
This is a copy of a post from Wakefield District Cycling Forum, if you ride the canal between Rothwell and Leeds you will know what an obstacle these steps are, impossible to use for three wheelers or disabled and unless your fit enough hard work to carry the bike up and down especially an electric one.
Its long overdue a solution.

"Hello I wanted to update everyone on progress with the Skelton Grange road bridge steps campaign in Leeds.The steps on the trans- Pennine Trail and Sustrans route 67 are a major cycle route between Wakefield and Leeds. Sustrans and Leeds City Council are holding a workshop for key stakeholders including The Trans-pennine Trail, Canals and Rivers Trust, Leeds City Council, WY Combined Authority and Leeds Cycling Campaign on 18th October. This will determine the options for providing a fully accessible alternative to the Skelton Grange steps to consult on. Sustrans will then develop- in consultation with stakeholders - a concept design by December 2021, followed by the submission of a pre- planning advice application by the end of January 2022.
Look out for Information on how you can have your say on the possible options following the workshop.Thanks to everyone at Wakefield District Cycle Forum for your continuing support for the campaign. I will keep you posted on progress."

Last edited:

DRM

Guru
Not before time, those steps are bl**dy awful, I believe the main stumbling block is they're privately owned.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I very much like the whole Sustrans ethos and ethics but some of the routes are horrid and amount to little more than getting permission to to stick up a sign (which then gets nicked or defaced). Some of the routes are ridiculously circuitous as well.

Top Bottom