Skewer sizes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Garyh09

Are skewers all the same size, I need a rear one for a road bike, could anybody tell me what size I would need please?

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Are skewers all the same size, I need a rear one for a road bike, could anybody tell me what size I would need please?

If you are talking about standard QR skewer, you can get any rear one you like - mtb ones are only 5mm longer and work fine on road bikes.

OP
OP
G

Garyh09

Thanks RecordAceFromNew,
I don't really understand much about bikes just hoping to learn its just a basic skewer on a rear wheel from a triban 3

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
You'd normally buy a pair - one longer for the rear one shorter for the front....

I may be wrong but its possible its 100mmm for the front, 130mm for the rear... I've only ever bought them in pairs. Oh this is for road skewers too....

02GF74

Über Member
rear mtb skewers are longer. note that if you use an mtb skewer on a road bike, the thread part may stick out too far so you won't be able to tighten the skewer - it depends on the amount of thread on the skewer.

oxford_guy

Über Member
I have a Hewitt Cheviot touring bike, which has 135mm like a MTB, which skewer lengths would this need? Shimano XT ones seem to come in various lengths e.g. 133mm (which I assume would be fine for the front), the rear ones at 168mm, 173mm - I'm a bit confused about whether I would need 168mm or 173mm on the rear hub

Sterba

Über Member
yes, it's 130mm (rear) for a normal road bike today, used to be 126mm if the bike is much more than 10 years old. |Front is 100mm

oxford_guy

Über Member
yes, it's 130mm (rear) for a normal road bike today, used to be 126mm if the bike is much more than 10 years old. |Front is 100mm

What I don't understand is why there seem to be a variety of skewer lengths for MTBs and tourers, I though the rear drop-out size was standardised on 135mm, so how come there are more than one length of rear skewer for MTBs e.g. 168mm and 173mm?

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
What I don't understand is why there seem to be a variety of skewer lengths for MTBs and tourers, I though the rear drop-out size was standardised on 135mm, so how come there are more than one length of rear skewer for MTBs e.g. 168mm and 173mm?

According to Shimano's spec, the 173mm skewer is there to cater for frame dropout thickness of 16 - 20mm.

Top Bottom