Skewer springs - there is a wrong way round

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fiona N

Veteran
I've never been entirely sure what the conical springs on QR skewers are for and which way round they go but have always just put them on small end inwards.

Yesterday I found out why when I accidentally got one the wrong way round.

It was on my mtb and I was fitting disk brakes and new wheels. Much to my annoyance, the front wheel wouldn't fit and since I knew the wheels fit without the brakes on, I blamed the disk brakes and began tracking down the problem - wrong brake shoes, wrong caliper mounting brace, caliper mount wrong way round, forks not IS etc. I even cycled out to Wheelbase at Staveley to quiz the mechanics (although this was mainly because the rear brake mounting on the frame seemed to be a bit bent and I wanted to get his advice on bending it back - don't was the advice - so I filed it back to shape :ohmy:).

When I got home I had another play and, since the skewer was a bit of a nuisance at the point, I removed it. Lo and behold, the wheel fit :smile:

Looking closer, I realised that the bigger end of the spring was just enough to slide over the axle and make it too large to properly seat in the drop-out.

So now I do know that they have to go small end inwards but I still don't know why you need them :biggrin:

And the new brakes and wheels are great :becool:

C

chillyuk

The springs centre the skewer when you release the lever and make it easy (easier) to remove the wheel.

gbb

Legendary Member
The springs centre the skewer when you release the lever and make it easy (easier) to remove the wheel.

You know ? however much you (me) know about bikes, there's always a little something you don't know...i never figured that out. I hadn't given it much (any) thought TBF, but now i know :thumbsup:

pshore

I think it is the other way around.

When putting the wheel back in, the springs make sure there is a gap on both sides for your frame to drop into. It's damn fiddly without the springs cos the skewer Is always beta knocked to one side then no gap prevents the frame from dropping into place. Grr.

C

chillyuk

I think it is the other way around.

When putting the wheel back in, the springs make sure there is a gap on both sides for your frame to drop into. It's damn fiddly without the springs cos the skewer Is always beta knocked to one side then no gap prevents the frame from dropping into place. Grr.

Upon reflection you may very well be correct!

Top Bottom