Skidding to a halt at a ped crossing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It's been a while, but here is my latest video.

This driver approaches a zebra crossing quite fast. A cyclist who has dismounted to get to the other side of the road (I take the roundabout instead, much safer!!) waits at the zebra crossing. The driver must notice quite late and instead of deciding to continue safely through the crossing (the cyclist was waiting patiently) decides to do an emergency stop, skidding in the process. Why? The bemused cyclist looks on.....:biggrin:

Maybe the driver had noticed that I was filming and didn't want to end up on the web for ignoring a zebra crossing :biggrin:

(Yes I was breathing heavy, but I had just emerged from the Clyde Tunnel. I challenge anyone to cycle through the tunnel at a reasonable speed and come out breathing normally!!:biggrin:)

spindrift

Ha ha!

domtyler

Über Member
magnatom said:
How did you know about the goings on in the Clyde tunnel cycle path....:biggrin::biggrin:

I have a direct link to your bike-cam that I can connect to at will, I use it to monitor what you are up to and report back to my superiors on a weekly basis as they asked me to watch you.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

domtyler said:
I have a direct link to your bike-cam that I can connect to at will, I use it to monitor what you are up to and report back to my superiors on a weekly basis as they asked me to watch you.

Oh bu**er. Literally. :biggrin:

domtyler

Über Member
magnatom said:
If thats true Dom, where am I pointing it now..........:biggrin:

Euuggghhhh :biggrin::biggrin::ohmy::blush::sad::blush::blush:xx(xx(:biggrin::biggrin:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I just had a muppet skid to a halt at a red light, on the phone, across the line. Tosser in an Audi TT, but I didn't have my helmet camera around since I was walking.

magnatom said:
It's been a while, but here is my latest video.

This driver approaches a zebra crossing quite fast. A cyclist who has dismounted to get to the other side of the road (I take the roundabout instead, much safer!!) waits at the zebra crossing. The driver must notice quite late and instead of deciding to continue safely through the crossing (the cyclist was waiting patiently) decides to do an emergency stop, skidding in the process. Why? The bemused cyclist looks on.....:sad:

Maybe the driver had noticed that I was filming and didn't want to end up on the web for ignoring a zebra crossing :smile:

!!:blush:)

I'll start by saying that the youtube was overloaded and wouldn't run before I started typing.

The driver may have read the Highway Code ?

Zebra crossings. As you approach a zebra crossing
  • look out for pedestrians waiting to cross and be ready to slow down or stop to let them cross
  • you MUST give way when a pedestrian has moved onto a crossing
  • allow more time for stopping on wet or icy roads
  • do not wave or use your horn to invite pedestrians across; this could be dangerous if another vehicle is approaching
  • be aware of pedestrians approaching from the side of the crossing
I'm not sure that your camera was a catalyst. You were on a parallel carriageway and the car passed you and the driver was probably looking forwards rather than out of the left rear quarter window. He may have caught you in his periphery but I doubt it was much more than that.

couldn't see the vid until I got home. Watch in slomo and the "pedestrian" pushes his front wheel over the edge of the kerb before the car has stopped - definitely not 'waiting patiently'. This is enough for the car to give way 'when a pedestrian has moved onto a crossing'.

Motorist was, however, in the wrong - they should have slowed earlier and should have stopped irrespective of how patient the "pedestrian" may have looked.

OF COURSE - JUST MY OPINION and possibly not shared by others.

Arch

Married to Night Train
OT a bit, but... I can't see Youtube films at the moment on this Uni computer (I have done in the past, it's just this last week) I get this message on the Youtube site:

Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Adobe's Flash Player.

I'm not sure I can load new versions of stuff, not being an administrator. How do I check the Javascript thing?

Very annoying, I haven't been able to see Bollo's dent yet... Will have to bring my laptop in and use a hotdesk connection..

Top Bottom