Skidding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I haven’t done a proper one since I was a kid until today on this morning‘s ride. I was out by Walbury Hill on the Hants/Berks border. It’s not especially well known but it’s the highest natural point is SE England by I think 3 metres over Leith Hill. The scarp side is particularly sharp and I believe it’s been used in national hill-climb competitions.

Anyways, I’ve just ascended the draggy “easy” side and was hooning it down the 15% drop on the scarp side when the driver of a car about 20-30 metres in front of me slowed to ease past some cyclists coming up the incline. I just managed to stop before I rear-ended him but pulled a monster, fish-tailing skid in the process. There was a moment when I thought I was augering in with the sure knowledge that was my own bloody fault.

No harm done, except to the tyre…

344502A3-581F-49B3-913C-28244885AFF2.jpeg

So, skidding then. Cool as feck or a manifestation of incompetence?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Those tyres look knackered anyway.

OP
OP
Bollo

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Those tyres look knackered anyway.

They’re not old or particularly high-mileage but victims of the local flinty geology with a helping hand from Hampshire CC’s love of surface dressing. My tyre graveyard could burn for weeks.

OP
OP
Bollo

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
They look square and the rubber looks knackered. :tongue:

They‘re on a bike with an electronic groupset so that’s probably what’s done it.

I used to love rear wheel skids when I was younger. But I try to avoid them now.
I did do an inadvertent one recently, when someone crossed the road rather unexpectedly in front of me. Hydraulic brakes have some power!

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Two-wheel skids are scarier. I did one on a wet road, going too fast downhill and coming across a line of waiting cars. I stopped a foot from the last car's rear bumper. As long as you brake in a straight line, you can stay upright. I may have used a lot of bad words.

Top Bottom