Skiing vs cycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/01/s...line-in-brain-injuries.html?pagewanted=1&_r=0

Well I never. Probably not a great surprise, and not directly relevant to cycling, but interesting nonetheless. Despite a massive increase in ski helmet wearing (and a rather high injury rate giving a decent population sample) there's been no corresponding fall in brain injury.

I confess my interest has been piqued by the multi-page spreads following the Schumacher injury (he was, incidentally, helmeted). In particular, I'm rather surprised by the number of articles alleging that skiing is safer than cycling. I believe that's what is known in the trade as complete and utter bollocks.

There's a widely cited stat that quotes 2 - 4 injuries (of any kind) per 1000 skier days. That is high in itself (1 per busload per week) but is also rather higher than the equivalent for cycling. CTC estimates something like 0.05 injuries per 1000 cyclist hours, which (based on a long 7 hour cycling day) translates to something like 0.35 injuries per 1000 cyclist days - something like an order of magnitude less.

The head injury stat seems to be based on a US stat of 17,000 head injuries in a year from 11 million skiers vs 85,000 head injuries from 47 million cyclists. It conveniently ignores the fact that skiing is a once-a-year activity for most skiers, rather heavily constrained by the weather.

If I'm feeling strong tomorrow I'll try for a Guardian correction or clarification. And there's something of a lesson there for the cycling industry - the skiing industry does its PR rather better.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Schumi was ski-ing off piste at the time of his accident which increases the danger and risk, so although there has been no corresponding fall in brain injury. There may have been an increase in people being stupid. The belief that they are protected by a helmet may encourage reckless behaviour.
Are we able to produce brain injury statistics exclusively for ski injury on recognized compacted routes as people who Ski off piste are often the type to look for excitement and danger.

What Schumi did was the ski-ing equivalent of riding his bike round hanger lane and the north circular road in the rush hour IMHO and I would be interested in comparing the data between the injurys of thrill seekers to the average person.

Interesting subject though

sazzaa

It's pretty normal to head off-piste as soon as you're past beginner level. More powder means a softer fall usually.

PK99

Legendary Member
It's pretty normal to head off-piste as soon as you're past beginner level. More powder means a softer fall usually.

Not in my experience and observation in over 30 years of skiing it isn't.

I was skiing in the next valley over in Xmas week, and frankly, given the very thin snow covering, anyone skiing the "between pistes" bits was daft.

sazzaa

Maybe it's a generation thing? Or a snowboarder thing... Obviously you don't do it if you can see rocks but generally it's all about the soft stuff.

PK99

Legendary Member
Maybe it's a generation thing? Or a snowboarder thing... Obviously you don't do it if you can see rocks but generally it's all about the soft stuff.

Only for a very small minority of skiers.

Dunno about Meribel, but off piste avalanche warnings were at 4 (of 5) on Saturday in La Plagne and there was a 30cm dump overnight to Sunday.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I have been skiing, on and off, since I was ten. There was was a decade and a half when I never went. When I returned, quite a lot of people were wearing helmets, something that I thought was pretty daft and selfish. I read that the majority of injuries are from collisions with fellow skiers.

Helmets are like bull bars on 4x4s. When skiing on-piste, the wearers mainly endanger other skiers. Nobbers.

Edit: Mr Schumacher was off-piste and among rocks. A helmet was unlikely to harm anybody else. I hope it saved his life.

Last edited:

sazzaa

There's a difference between proper off piste and sliding about inbetween runs though, Schumi was doing the latter, avalanche warnings are irrelevant for that.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
One of the questions I'm curious about is do helmet wearers take more risks due to the belief that they are safer, in effect negating the possibility of this with increased risk.
Do we know what percentage of people injured off piste were not wearing a helmet?

david k

Hi
One of the questions I'm curious about is do helmet wearers take more risks due to the belief that they are safer, in effect negating the possibility of this with increased risk.
Do we know what percentage of people injured off piste were not wearing a helmet?

I think it would be very difficult for any stats to identify this with any certainty, I think the notion of risk compensation is over stated when it comes to helmet use for cycling (IMO) but have no experience of skiing sadly

sazzaa

In the snowboarding world I'd say it's a definite yes as most boarders won't wear a helmet unless they're hitting a park or really going for it down the slopes. If you're just off out for a gentle ride then the helmet gets ditched. Skiing might be different though as it's easier. I can't recall seeing many French skiers with helmets on, they usually just wear a headband and shades.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member

I don't think so. I sometimes wear a helmet and once it is on my head I forget it. I am sure I don't put it on and think "Right, lets go for it". In my opinion cycle helmets are pretty useless for anything but I got caught up in the scare mongering and am trying to get myself out of it. :0)

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom