Skiing vs cycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
There's an interesting article here that covers quite a bit of ground.
http://www.ski-injury.com/prevention/helmet

Linford

No different from much helmet debate.....

Rotational injury.... No documented case of it ever having happened only academic speculation that it might occur.

Strangulation by cycle helmet.... Has never happened with a cycle helmet used on a bike only with a couple of kids on climbing frames.

Actually it is different, Schumachers helmet demonstrably did work to a degree way beyond its design specification. Much like coming of a bike and hitting the edge of the kerb. Some Protection from low probability high consequence events.

Skin and hair is actually quite grippy....a lot more grippy than the polished surface which these lids have. More chance of a rotational injury without a lid

OP
OP
srw

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
even these folks http://www.cyclehelmets.org/1039.html only cite academic speculation
I think this is going to be one of those cases where an anecdote is useful.

(There are two circumstances in which anecdote is enough to prove an argument - where you're trying to prove the existence of something and where you're trying to disprove a universal.)

Linford

2848737 said:
Especially for people with horns and other snag points on their head.

Just cut em off

hellboy-ii-ron-perlman.jpg

Wobblers

Euthermic
In detail no. But i have googled ski helmet design specs and from all descriptions of the accident it was way beyond the design spec.

Somehow, I suspect you didn't have the appropriate instrumentation (strain guages and calibrated accelerometers) to measure the actual forces involved in this case.

In other words, your assertion doesn't have any foundation in fact. Try this line in any science lab and you'll be laughed out the door as you're being fired...

Wobblers

Euthermic
By all accounts Schumi was not going fast or dangerously even if off piste and when he initially treated was ok at the scene. The helmet was cracked, but it appeared to be a non trivial incident, it only transpired after a while that it was more serious. I'm wondering if this could not be related to previous brain crash injuries during his driving career, it was minor but maybe the straw that broke the camels back?
I have no doubt that skiing is more dangerous hour for hour than cycling, I've seen some horrific accidents on winter holiday's, and been subject to one myself.

If the helmet cracked rather than crushed, it may have absorbed very little impact energy indeed. That very much suggests to me that it failed.

Wobblers

Euthermic
Skin and hair is actually quite grippy....a lot more grippy than the polished surface which these lids have. More chance of a rotational injury without a lid

Could I ask you to add "physics" to the list of subjects you ought to read up on?

For starters, what's the definition of "torque"? (And I'm expecting you to at least supply the relevant maths)

swansonj

Guru
I can't be bothered to follow up the reference now to see how robust it is, but I have read that one of the reasons we have retained hair on our heads whilst losing it elsewhere is that the low friction presented by hair compared to skin reduces the rotational acceleration produced by any given glancing blow to the head - and as we all know, don't we, it is rotational accelerations that are far more damaging to the brain than linear ones. A polished smooth motorcycle lid may be even lower friction, after all a lot of development has gone into making them that way - but that just reinforces the argument that cycle helmets with air vents and (until, like me, you cut them off) visors are likely to be worse.

swansonj

Guru
2848963 said:
Ok, losing most of it in most other places, speaking in evolutionary terms about the race as a whole rather than any individuals...

Perhaps I should just have said, one of the reasons we tend to have more hair on our heads than elsewhere.

Linford

Could I ask you to add "physics" to the list of subjects you ought to read up on?

For starters, what's the definition of "torque"? (And I'm expecting you to at least supply the relevant maths)

without googling it torque can be measured as a rotational force and usually in newton metres or lbs per ft.....now your turn...no cut and paste now mister. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom