Skiing vs cycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Linford

If the helmet cracked rather than crushed, it may have absorbed very little impact energy indeed. That very much suggests to me that it failed.
May or did...and that would likely be less and not very little

The crack is indicator that the force on the styrene has exceeded its shear strength along that particular stress line . That does not mean that the styrene stops deforming through the rest of it's structure away from that point. The thing about a fall is it is normally associated with a tumble and that means that the lid will also continue to give a benefit with secondary impacts.

Linford

Somehow, I suspect you didn't have the appropriate instrumentation (strain guages and calibrated accelerometers) to measure the actual forces involved in this case.

In other words, your assertion doesn't have any foundation in fact. Try this line in any science lab and you'll be laughed out the door as you're being fired...

I don't think you are equipped with this either so all see is conjecture ;)

Wobblers

Euthermic
without googling it torque can be measured as a rotational force and usually in newton metres or lbs per ft.....now your turn...no cut and paste now mister. ;)

I asked you for the formula. Not to mention demonstrating some form of understanding of the concept (which is necessary before we go on to discussing its relevance to helmets and rotational injuries). If its SI units are Nm, you can use dimensional analysis to derive the relevant maths.

Over to you...

Wobblers

Euthermic
May or did...and that would likely be less and not very little

The crack is indicator that the force on the styrene has exceeded its shear strength along that particular stress line . That does not mean that the styrene stops deforming through the rest of it's structure away from that point. The thing about a fall is it is normally associated with a tumble and that means that the lid will also continue to give a benefit with secondary impacts.

Really? Are you actually claiming that a brittle material will still behave in a linear, predictable fashion once you've exceeded its breaking strain?

sazzaa

Well this argument got pretty retarded pretty quickly. Reminds me a bit of OU forums with folk tripping over themselves to show how much "knowledge" they have...

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
'Retarded' indeed.

After I get over my revulsion of that word, I would ask what is 'retarded' about scientists and engineers discussing things scientifically? Or is this just a reflex response to not understanding what they are on about? ;)

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Could I ask you to add "physics" to the list of subjects you ought to read up on?

Fifth_Element_General_Belt_1_4957.jpg

sazzaa

Why not just accept that some people on here know what they are talking about? You claim the high ground in that regard for yourself often enough. (And it's 'number' for people, not 'amount' btw.)

I accept that SOME people know what they're talking about. High ground? I usually base my opinions on personal experience, I don't think that makes me superior, just experienced in certain things. Other people may have different experiences. My posts seem to bother you for some reason, feel free to share why.

Linford

I accept that SOME people know what they're talking about. High ground? I usually base my opinions on personal experience, I don't think that makes me superior, just experienced in certain things. Other people may have different experiences. My posts seem to bother you for some reason, feel free to share why.
And I was sure it was just me ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom