Skiing vs cycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Linford

Really? Are you actually claiming that a brittle material will still behave in a linear, predictable fashion once you've exceeded its breaking strain?
Still waiting on this one

Linford

2849294 said:
You require McWobble to provide the definition of the word "brittle" before you can answer the question? You could always look the word up in a dictionary until he gets up.
I was hoping that he might try and add a bit of substance to his assertion that the materials used in a cycle lid miraculously lose all their properties when a crack is put in it. Is he claiming now that styrene is actually the wrong material for use in lids, and if so what is he suggesting as a better alternative ?

Linford

2849306 said:
Perhaps you need to remember that you are the one promoting helmet use. It is for you to make your case about their effectiveness not the other way around.
Styrene is used in all manner of head protection from cycle lids to skiing, motorcycling, horseriding, to car racing, as well as rock climbing, kayaking, potholing .... the list is endless. The only group I see whingeing abouly the value of head protection is a small minority of people who cycle, and I have no doubt that the true bugbear with their value is actually motivated by vanity.!

Linford

Trolling again.
It would be if I didn't honestly feel it was without foundation. I know I look like a bit of a knobber in cycling gear..inc the lid...most do, however It all has value and begins to become apparent after 1/2 mile in the saddle and the added value of it all is worth far more to me than that of people who neither know me or cycle themselves....or both.

If someone's ego is so fragile that they struggle to acknowledge this, then I'd not be surprised to learn that they might also struggle with the vanity bit as well....

sazzaa

Styrene is used in all manner of head protection from cycle lids to skiing, motorcycling, horseriding, to car racing, as well as rock climbing, kayaking, potholing .... the list is endless. The only group I see whingeing abouly the value of head protection is a small minority of people who cycle, and I have no doubt that the true bugbear with their value is actually motivated by vanity.!
Actually not a bad point. I take my kid to horseriding lessons and the hat is considered essential, there's no moaning about it and there's no getting on a horse without one. Same in workshops and the like, it's just standard safety procedure and everyone accepts that. Why is it different for cyclists?

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Actually not a bad point. I take my kid to horseriding lessons and the hat is considered essential, there's no moaning about it and there's no getting on a horse without one. Same in workshops and the like, it's just standard safety procedure and everyone accepts that. Why is it different for cyclists?

Yes it is. The risks are different, and it's the person providing the service that sets the conditions. But the main difference is that horse riding is a minority leisure pursuit that doesn't matter very much, so no one really cares. If people wish to ride their own horses without helmets, then I'm on their side, in so far as I can be arsed to be. For most purposes the only important thing horse riding shares with cycling is a risk of being intimidated or endangered by motor traffic.

sazzaa

Yes it is. The risks are different, and it's the person providing the service that sets the conditions. But the main difference is that horse riding is a minority leisure pursuit that doesn't matter very much, so no one really cares. If people wish to ride their own horses without helmets, then I'm on their side, in so far as I can be arsed to be. For most purposes the only important thing horse riding shares with cycling is a risk of being intimidated or endangered by motor traffic.
I think if kids can get by wearing a helmet without whinging like little bitches about it, then grown ups should be able to. You are setting an example after all. Cyclists need to just get over it already, moany c****.

sazzaa

I'd like to feel like it's low risk, but in all honesty i don't, I'm a confident cyclist in busy traffic now and take every safety precaution possible, yet i still come up against nobber drivers every time I'm on a bike. I do sometimes feel like I'm waiting for my first accident to happen, sadly.

sazzaa

2849605 said:
But you presumably don't feel the same when walking or driving the car?

Walking no. But I only seem to walk (or run) on trails nowadays. Driving yes to an extent, I wouldn't practice defensive driving if I didn't think there was risk involved. And after seeing how people drive in central europe (hols) last year it put the fear into me. Absolute maniacs on the road, thought I was going to die in a taxi in Hungary. Out of the three activities I feel least safe on a bike. Add snowboarding in and it's probably on a par with cycling, but I wear a helmet for both now.

Linford

Seriously, Linf? This is a cycling forum - I don't imagine anyone thinks you look like a nobber in cycling gear. Almost everyone, however, thinks you look like a right nobber when indulging your seemingly inexhaustible and monomaniacal appetite for thread derailment.

All of the gear I wear on a cycle is there for functional reasons. I travel as light at I can. If I felt there was no value in a cycling lid, I'd simply not wear one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom