Buying a helmet - Advice sought from helmet wearers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

russ.will

Slimboy Fat
I'm going to buy a helmet. I'm getting back in the saddle and my 10 year old Bell is past it's best.

I'm not interested in opinions of people who don't/won't wear one - You're mentallist throwbacks from the motorcyling anti-lid brigade of 30 years ago and most of them, now eat through straws. I'm happy dropping £300 on a motorcyle skid lid, or £100 on a skiing bonce potty - Fit governs price and that is my question:

I'm well endowed in the cranial department and suit a wider helmet. If it helps, think Shoei/AGV as opposed to Arai. Are there brands that tend toward a wider fitting? I'm just trying to short curcuit the search, prior to trying a few on.

Thanks in advance,

Russell

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Where's the tin foil hat picture when you need it ....

simon.r

Person
Shoei Multitec and Bell cycle helmet for me. Many (most?) cycle helmets have a wide range of adjustment, not quite 'one size fits all', but not far off. Having said that I've tried several different brands and Bell seem to suit my head better than others.

OP
OP
russ.will

russ.will

Slimboy Fat
2187715 said:
Or just wear the ski one.
I did think of that, but it's a bit of lump, given that my enthusiasm far outstrips my ability and I know it.

To be fair, it's ventillation is based around 10-20mph at -10deg or lower, so it would be too hot on a bike. It is very nice though and it's styling is more understated than race, which is something I'd like my cycle potty to achieve too.

OP
OP
russ.will

russ.will

Slimboy Fat
Shoei Multitec and Bell cycle helmet for me. Many (most?) cycle helmets have a wide range of adjustment, not quite 'one size fits all', but not far off. Having said that I've tried several different brands and Bell seem to suit my head better than others.
My old Bell was bought purely on fit, as my motorcycle background leans me toward what works, as opposed to what I want.

deanE

just go to a few bike shops and try some on. What suits us is not relevant. You’ll know when you have found the right one, but don’t look at the price tag until you have found it.

OP
OP
russ.will

russ.will

Slimboy Fat
I agree - I won't find a fit from online questioning or browsing. It was more of a 'do certain brands favour certain shapes of head?' For instance, I gave up trying Arai motorcycle helmets years ago because they are made for American pencil heads, not Fen turnip heads. :smile:

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm going to buy a helmet. I'm getting back in the saddle and my 10 year old Bell is past it's best.

I'm not interested in opinions of people who don't/won't wear one - You're mentallist throwbacks from the motorcyling anti-lid brigade of 30 years ago and most of them, now eat through straws. I'm happy dropping £300 on a motorcyle skid lid, or £100 on a skiing bonce potty - Fit governs price and that is my question:

I'm well endowed in the cranial department and suit a wider helmet. If it helps, think Shoei/AGV as opposed to Arai. Are there brands that tend toward a wider fitting? I'm just trying to short curcuit the search, prior to trying a few on.

Thanks in advance,

Russell
Try Met. Their largest size is very generous.

HovR

Über Member
I have a MET and a Giro and I personally find the Giro more comfortable, although I suspect that like saddle choice it is somewhat personal, and you'll have to try some on to find out for yourself.

Although I do have to admit part of the reason behind buying the Giro was that the colour scheme matched my club kit. :rolleyes:

Drago

Legendary Member
Yeah, I prefer Giro and my Poc, but Mets large size is a bit wider, and their XL goes something like 62-65cm which is bigger than most. Been using a Xen for commuting, very comfortable and well ventilated, but using the Poc more now its colder. The Hex is very similar to the Xen and much cheaper, worth a look.

I got a trendy road Giro for posing on my road bike but prefer the MTB trail lids for commuting due to their better side and rear coverage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom