Skiing vs cycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Do you believe that a thudguard is effective in its use ?

Remember the kitten is praying for a direct answer instead of all this avoidance:

upload_2014-1-5_14-5-10-jpeg.35670.jpg

You are the one who stated:

Not as good as a decent motorcycle crash helmet, but certainly better than wearing nothing at all....if we can mitigate the severity, then that could be the difference between a survivable and non survivable injury.

So lets ask again in the vain hope of actually getting an answer:

The argument for the Thudguard is exactly the same as the one you are using for helmets, you cannot argue for one without also arguing for the other.

.. or is it not worth mitigating head injuries in toddlers?

You yet again are just cherry picking. If there was just a solid block of metal where a crumple zone is, how much plastic deformation would you expect to see ?
Is it possible to construct a crumple zone without voids in the structure as you appear to be eluding too ...please share this wisdom ?

As pointed out previously it is the structure that deforms, you could fill the space with bananas or fish and it would make no difference to the function

Wobblers

Euthermic
You yet again are just cherry picking. If there was just a solid block of metal where a crumple zone is, how much plastic deformation would you expect to see ?
Is it possible to construct a crumple zone without voids in the structure as you appear to be eluding too ...please share this wisdom ?

My. That's an awfully deep hole, isn't it? Would you like me to throw you down another shovel?

Linford

[QUOTE 2855938, member: 30090"]You're right, it is actually very sad. I'm yet to make up my mind though if it's trolling or stupidity. Sounds harsh, but people should just stay the f*** out of some threads as they do no good at all.[/quote]

You should take to your own advice...you certainly haven't painted yourself in glory with your boasting about your RLJing.

Linford

[QUOTE 2855954, member: 45"]

Not so much these days.[/quote]

But you still do, so you can take your chances with all of the other chancers and hypocrites and I sincerely hope you don't come up wanting because you felt that playing the odds is a better bet than taking any form of precautions when mixing it up.

Listen, It's been fun, but I've got some important stuff to get on with and I've let it slide far too much because of this debate. Toodle pip :thumbsup:

Do you believe that a thudguard is effective in its use ?

Remember the kitten is praying for a direct answer instead of all this avoidance:

upload_2014-1-5_14-5-10-jpeg.35670.jpg

You are the one who stated:

Not as good as a decent motorcycle crash helmet, but certainly better than wearing nothing at all....if we can mitigate the severity, then that could be the difference between a survivable and non survivable injury.

So lets ask again in the vain hope of actually getting an answer:

The argument for the Thudguard is exactly the same as the one you are using for helmets, you cannot argue for one without also arguing for the other.

.. or is it not worth mitigating head injuries in toddlers?

Not only is the kitten praying that there is a straight answer to this question,I have called in reinforcements:

1271803992f3uwxlf.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRLuZ6nqjwTgy1A1dRjn_Qa5oP_H-z3EbB2fmLnx15UtwQOHNLW.jpg

2454526903_55eb09ef46_o-600x503.jpg

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
2855186 said:
Are you telling me that I am no more intelligent than a kitten?
I suspect it is also cuter than you as well!
I think @Pat "5mph" should be called in to pronounce on that one.
@Adrian 's laconic utterances demonstrate a sharpness of mind akin to a feline determined to extract tuna from its human - his Lycra cladded bum nonchalantly posted on CC is certainly above than mere "cute" imho :wub:
Haven't read any of this thread btw - not about to do so either :tongue:

@Adrian 's laconic utterances demonstrate a sharpness of mind akin to a feline determined to extract tuna from its human - his Lycra cladded bum nonchalantly posted on CC is certainly above than mere "cute" imho :wub:
Haven't read any of this thread btw - not about to do so either :tongue:

I demand a second opinion!

U

User482

It's through reading threads like this and others that I've come to realise how irrational my views on helmet-wearing were. If you'd asked me ten years ago, I would've said that helmets are a very important piece of safety equipment and would be mildly in favour of compulsion. How wrong can you be!

Turning to my own history, a look through the old family photo album this Christmas found me looking very proud aboard my brand new Raleigh Grifter, sporting a full-face helmet that consisted of a thin plastic shell and some pipe-lagging type foam inside it - its usefulness no doubt the square-root of sod all. With the early nineties began my love of mountain biking and it's in this case I do see the value of a helmet - speeds are generally low, skip lorries absent, and taking risks is an innate part of its appeal. I've lost count of the number of low-hanging tree branches I've whacked, or all those graceful arcs over the bars on a steep, rooty descent. Coming to road cycling later as I did, I simply carried on wearing the helmet out of habit more than anything else.

Yet at the same time as taking up mtbing, I got into skiing - protecting my head only with a woolly hat, and mum had nothing to say about that... even after I cut my forehead open in an accident.

A gap of ten years saw me return to the slopes, and I was amazed to be in a minority of non-helmet wearers. I think @PK99 makes an important point - the equipment has changed radically, and it's possible for the novice or intermediate skier to tackle terrain that would've been well beyond them using the towering planks I learnt on. Is it possible that no change in the overall injury rate - despite all those helmets - is in part due to novices taking more risks, because they're able to? I don't know.

I suppose there's a parallel with the development of mountain biking - compare my lightweight, full-suspension and hydraulic disc brake equipped machine with the rigid, cantilever braked lump I was racing all over northern England twenty years ago. There's far more potential for the averagely talented mtber to get herself into high-speed trouble. On the other hand, the capabilities of a modern mtb may mean you're less likely to come off in the first place. Again, I don't know what impact this has had on injury rates. I do know that the kind of terrain you find in some trail centres would've been very challenging for all but the very best riders on my old bikes.

Meanwhile, away from skiing and Welsh trail centres, road cycling continues pretty much as it always has. Yet we have far, far more bums on saddles than we've had for many years. Given what we know about safety in numbers, the impact compulsion may have on that, and the limited (at best) benefit helmet-wearing has in road accidents, it does seem very curious that some are so keen for everyone to wear one.

I'm going to keep wearing mine though.

Sorry for the ramble.

thom

____
Here is a Guardian article : Should I wear a helmet on the ski slopes?

One link is to a Eurosafe site with a page on Snow Sports that links to a report on Helmet usage in Snow sports at the bottom. I copy & pasted the "Key messages in this policy briefing are:"

• · Snow sports hold a significant injury risk of injury. Children and young people are more at risk. There is no major difference in injury risks between snowboarders and skiers.

• · More than 50% of all severe and fatal injuries in snow sports are related to the head.

• · As other types of injuries are decreasing, such as lower leg fractures owing to better binding systems, head injuries in snow sports is taking a larger share in the total number of snow sport injuries.

• · Snow sports helmets, if worn properly, will reduce the impact of a collision or crash and thus reduce the severity of injury outcome. The protective effect is estimated to be within a range of 21 to 45%.

• · Fortunately, helmet wearing rates are increasing: Germany, Austria and Switzer- land are respectively reporting 40%, 63%, 76% helmet wearing rates now. Switzer- land is even reporting a 95% helmet wearing rate among children.
· There is quite some controversy as to whether or not helmet wearing should be enforced by legislation, as it could discour- age snow sports participants from practising their sports.

· However, the high level of acceptance of helmet wearing also provide the right momentum for making helmet wearing obligatory in order to further reduce the severity of head injuries in snow sports.

· As children are more at risk of head injuries than other age groups, helmet wearing for children to age 15 should be made obligatory in snow sports, at least in schools and in snow sport camps.

· Legal steps to a full mandatory requir ment for helmet wearing on slopes, as already in place in Italy and Austria, are still subject of a broader political debate but should not be shunned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom