Skip rescue, swap suspension to rigid

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Angry Blonde

Über Member
Ive rescued a carerra valour 2015 mtb from a skip, ive tidyed it right up, nearly new condition. I have plans to turn this into a touring bike with a rack to go camping with. Only the suntour forks have no lockout. Is there a straight swap, rigid fork anyone can direct me in. Ive tried searching but couldnt really decypher all the info.

Cheers in advance chaps

I did a similar swap. Forks are either 1" or 1 1/8" and either threaded or threadless, these use different styles of headset. Do a like for like swap. I put some forks from another skip find.

OP
OP
Angry Blonde

Angry Blonde

Über Member
Cheers chaps makes it a whole lot easier, not sure on travel of forks will that make a difference.... also the bike has 27.5 wheels will i habe to find forks long enough for this.

Jody

Stubborn git
Cheers chaps makes it a whole lot easier, not sure on travel of forks will that make a difference.... also the bike has 27.5 wheels will i habe to find forks long enough for this.

It will make a difference as you need a tall enough fork to compensate for the travel so you don't lower the front end too much and effect the geometry of the bike.

Make sure the new fork is compatible with 27.5. Few forks are made for this size but many are compatible. If you get one with a disk brake mount you can upgrade the brakes. Front brakes are most important for stopping and disc brakes will work better in the wet, esp with a big touring load and on steep decent.

Top Bottom