Skipping chain singlespeed conversion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I'm currently running my hybrid as a singlespeed and slowly converting the bits on it over. Last night I switched the rear dérailleur I had been using as a tensioner for a single cog tensioner, but now the chain skips under any significant load.

Any suggestions what it could be (the chain, sprocket are pretty new and the chainwheel isn't particularly worn)? I'm wondering if there is not enough of the chain wrapping round the rear cog and the chain needs shortening more.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
pushy uppee tensioner or pushy downee tensioner? I ask because chain wrap was an issue on my ss mtb albeit under heavy load until I went from pushy downee to push uppee and left everything else the same.

sure it is chain slippage and not the freewheel or freehub?

I'm currently running my hybrid as a singlespeed and slowly converting the bits on it over. Last night I switched the rear deraileur I had been using as a tensioner for a single cog tensioner, but now the chain skips under any significant load.

Any suggestions what it could be (the chain, sprocket are pretty new and the chainwheel isn't particularly worn)? I'm wondering if there is not enough of the chain wrapping round the rear cog and the chain needs shortening more.

Yeah,I had the same problem on an old s/s mtb,I had to take a couple of links out it worked fine then

OP
OP
mcshroom

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
pushy uppee tensioner or pushy downee tensioner? I ask because chain wrap was an issue on my ss mtb albeit under heavy load until I went from pushy downee to push uppee and left everything else the same.

sure it is chain slippage and not the freewheel or freehub?

I'm pretty certain it's chain, I can feel it going. It's a pushy downee one, so that could also be it. I'll try shortening, and put the dérailleur back if it still doesn't work.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
does sound like the "chain's a bit slack"!

Basil.B

Guru
I had this problem when I put a new chain on my singlespeed.
Was using a Surly chain tensioner. Had to put my old chain back on in the end.
Was caused by not enough chain wrap on the rear sprocket.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I had this problem when I put a new chain on my singlespeed.
Was using a Surly chain tensioner. Had to put my old chain back on in the end.
Was caused by not enough chain wrap on the rear sprocket.
How did putting the old chain back on make a difference?
Were you using the Surly in push up or push down mode?

Basil.B

Guru
The chain I fitted was a 1/8 instead of a 3/32!
The Surly was in the push up mode. Was ok for a few miles then soon as I went up a hill it would slip.
Best to have a bike frame with horizontal dropouts for singlespeed I think.
Can't ride the bike now anyway, got fractures in the frame.

Top Bottom