Skoda Fabia Scout 1.4 TDI

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
bikingdad90
There are good reasons to hide the number plate i.e. a person's address can be traced. But, as buyer, I would likely think the seller is trying to hide the freely available MOT history. Thereby, suggesting there is summat wrong with the car.

I'm sure there isn't in this case, but that is how many buyers think.

If anyone is genuinely interested I will send the address and plates via PM, it’s common practice with dealers also to hide the plate.

I don’t want my plate cloned or address stolen. I’m an honest bloke and would rather someone walk away if they are not happy. :smile:

Thanks but my wife would not be seen dead driving a Skoda!

vickster

Legendary Member
That is a possibility but very remote chance
The plate clone thing could happen to any plate that has ever been registered and goes out on the road surely?

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Go on then I'll bite, explain how this urban myth works

There are websites that will sell you data about the car history and who it's registered to. They buy the data from the DVLA. It's how parking companies find out where you live when they want to send you a penalty notice.

However, I think we're derailing the OPs thread.

Last edited:

screenman

Legendary Member
If that had a petrol engine and a dsg box I would be transferring the money now, great car, good value as well. Somebody on here should get it bought, the reason why not me, it would be a second/third car that would only do very short trips.

Drago

Legendary Member
There are websites that will sell you data about the car history and who it's registered to. They buy the data from the DVLA. It's how parking companies find out where you live when they want to send you a penalty notice.

However, I think we're derailing the OPs thread.
You have to be approved by the Home Office before your company has access to apply for DVLA records, and it costs money.

A villain might conceivably clone his plate if they see him driving about, but they wont faff about with the address. Theyll use it to commit crime or avoid parking tickets for a couple of days, and on to the next plate.

However, it's a dodgy game. ANPR isn't daft and notices straight away if a car is in Aberdeen at 11:03hrs and then in Knightsbrodge at 11:05hrs - ANPR is now so widespread and flags cloned plates so readily that it is not as popular as it once was.

Dealers cover plates for different reasons. Sometimes so cars being transported dont ping ANPR or toll cameras. On the forecourt they do it to hide the cars age, forcing you go and enquire with the nice salesman, who then reels you in...

Unless it's a very unusual car, a villain will just walk up the road and note registrations, or stand on a bridge over a busy road and let the plates come to him.

Anyway, enjoy the free bump!

Last edited:
OP
OP
bikingdad90
I’m genuinely sad to see it go. I’ve owned it since 2014. I’ve ummed and arr’d over putting it up for sale for a few months with the decision made when the CEO of my work place effectively said we are not going back to the office until 2021 or until there is a vaccine and then it will not be the same as how it was as the vision was always to be agile workers but we never quite got there.

The last MOT had an advisory to change rear discs and pads (done a good 60,000miles) as there is some scoring on them. If I am honest, this took me a little by surprise as there is no squeaking, stops fine even under hard braking so thought it was a little harsh. If I was going back to the office I would have got it done but it’s done very little mileage since March due to the lockdown and closure of office and it’s not going to get any mileage on it for the foreseeable. The next service is due in 3000 miles as on 12k service schedule. On an annual basis it was due in June 20 but again with it not getting used I haven’t arranged this.

@screenman thanks for the endorsement! If I didn’t have 3 children I’d have kept the Skoda over our Renault Scenic but need the 3isofix seats in the rear for the children’s seats. This is how the Skoda became the commuter car, a chosen forced upgrade. Ha ha. It never fails to make me smile whenever I drive the Skoda.

OP
OP
bikingdad90
Reducing to £3,100 to see if I get any takers. On auto trader also but only had a few tyre kickers who want over £1k of the asking price!

Top Bottom