Skoda Yeti - and now Tiguan?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classi...rue&dpp=10023455&advertising-location=at_cars

We’d keep our 2008 Saab 9-5 SportWagon, 1.9l diesel, 133000 miles. It‘s been a fab car, Served us well, but It’s worth about £500, so I’ll just keep it, use as hack and run it into the ground.

My 2.3t petrol 95 has done a little over 170000. Admittedly an oil pipe failure meant a new engine some three years back but still going strong. 170,000 was a psychological milestone as it meant I'd personally done 100,000 in it. Next target is 200,000 I guess - another 3 years cheapish motoring - why not ?

OP
OP
Proto

Proto

Legendary Member
I’m presuming you are not planning on going off road and just want the 4x4 for hills in snow?
As said several times, petrol will always win over diesel if doing less than 10-15k miles a year

Yes, just hills and snow, and I'll fit Michelin CrossClimate (or similar). No intentions of off roading.

Very hard to find a petrol AWD, and they'd be pricey (too new) and not too bothered about low mileage and Diesel engine, I understand the implications and will deal with them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Proto

Proto

Legendary Member
Just hit a snag. Looked at MOT history for the car, and it had done 24150 miles in March (guessing up to 27000 now?) , no idea where they got 16000 miles from. Feeling a bit deflated. They might adjust price but doubt it, so do I decline, get my £100 and walk, or push for £500 off, or more conceivably haggle for an extra year service and warranty?

Your thoughts please.

vickster

Legendary Member
Still low mileage, ask for a reduction and the other stuff. They can only say no,
But it is a gorgeous colour :okay:

OP
OP
Proto

Proto

Legendary Member
My 2.3t petrol 95 has done a little over 170000. Admittedly an oil pipe failure meant a new engine some three years back but still going strong. 170,000 was a psychological milestone as it meant I'd personally done 100,000 in it. Next target is 200,000 I guess - another 3 years cheapish motoring - why not ?

Now on 134672 miles, so I've done 100007 miles since I bought it. Doubt it will get to 200k, as it doesn't get used so much any more. Great car, really enjoyed owning and driving it.

cheys03

Veteran
They might adjust price but doubt it, so do I decline, get my £100 and walk, or push for £500 off, or more conceivably haggle for an extra year service and warranty?

Your thoughts please.
Your plan to have them effectively reduce the cost to you by adding to the deal is a good one - something that's easy for them to arrange so a win-win. Perhaps consider asking for a cambelt/water pump change in the deal too, iirc they're normally every 4yrs (or mileage which it's not near yet) so stands to cost you ~£1k in April 2021... unless they include it in the deal.

Drago

Legendary Member
I'd walk. If they've been misleading, in error or otherwise, about this then what else is not as it seems? The characteristics you most especially desire are better in the Yeti anyway.

A thousand miles is worth roughly 30-50 sheets off the value, so for 11000 you want a 300 to 500ish reduction to make it worth staying with it. I doubt they'd do that anyway.

Last edited:

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Be offended at their breach of trust, especially as main dealer and all that. Ask what they are going to do to resolve matters and sit back and let them come back with something. Powder dry and all that, you still have the option on the car.

OP
OP
Proto

Proto

Legendary Member
Be offended at their breach of trust, especially as main dealer and all that. Ask what they are going to do to resolve matters and sit back and let them come back with something. Powder dry and all that, you still have the option on the car.

To be fair, I believe it to be a genuine error. They hadn’t seen the car, It is coming in either as a PX from a different dealership in the group, or from auction somewhere. I’ve seen an internal document and it does state 16000 miles. I liked the sales fellow, thought him to be straightforward and honest.

27000 miles @ £18k makes it slightly expensive, but not outrageous from a main dealer, so I doubt they’ll budge. More likely to embellish with extra warranty/service period.

So, do I discuss it with them tomorrow and give them time to prepare, or wait until we meet on Wednesday when we test drive the car?

Salar

A fish out of water
As @Drago says, walk away. They've given duff info and I wouldn't trust them.

When we buy used cars we only deal with two multi main dealer garages who we have known for years.

Word gets around quickly where I live if you are up to no good and want to keep a good reputation.

screenman

Legendary Member
To be fair, I believe it to be a genuine error. They hadn’t seen the car, It is coming in either as a PX from a different dealership in the group, or from auction somewhere. I’ve seen an internal document and it does state 16000 miles. I liked the sales fellow, thought him to be straightforward and honest.

27000 miles @ £18k makes it slightly expensive, but not outrageous from a main dealer, so I doubt they’ll budge. More likely to embellish with extra warranty/service period.

So, do I discuss it with them tomorrow and give them time to prepare, or wait until we meet on Wednesday when we test drive the car?

Talk to them tomorrow.

Top Bottom