SKS Raceblade Experiences?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
Just ordered a pair of these to go on my B'Twin Triban 500SE, as the clearances on that bike are tight for regular guards. I also like the idea of being able to swap them onto the Cube quickly if it's lashing down.

But, with quick release comes compromise, apparently; I've read that they can get a bit fiddly and require adjusting regularly.

Does anyone have anecdotal evidence or advice they can share?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
They worked for me when I used them a few years ago. They are no more of a problem to fit than full length guards and mine never needed adjusting.

OP
OP
Dec66

Dec66

Lovely... Thanks all! They should be with me by the weekend, I'll come back crying if they don't work :laugh:

Soltydog

Legendary Member
The rear was fine, but I struggled with the front one on mine & didn't seem to have enough clearance between downtube & front wheel :blush:
You will need to clean under the fixings regularly to prevent them scratching your frame :okay:

Ajax Bay

Guru
I use two rear ones i.e. a 'rear' one on the front which gives me (boots/shoes/lower legs) more protection from front wheel 'offerings'. And an extra home made flap on the back one to keep those drafting happier.

You will need to clean under the fixings regularly to prevent them scratching your frame

Worth applying 5cm (clear) frame protector tape to each fork/seat stay to reduce the slow abrasion to the paintwork.

OP
OP
Dec66

Dec66

Ooh, good call on the tape, thanks. Saves me cleaning, slut that I am, hee hee :laugh:

OP
OP
Dec66

Dec66

Won't save cleaning, just paint wear.

I use the Raceblade Longs on one bike - very good for tight clearances.
This was what I meant:

"You will need to clean under the fixings regularly to prevent them scratching your frame"

Just have to clean more ^_^

Heisenberg71

When you're dead, you're dead
Rear was great, no hassle. However aero forks on the front created an angle that the fixings were not designed for. Therefore the front kept slipping and rubbing on the tyre. I made some rubber packers to put under fixings and it works ok(ish). Some days it's fine, others I have to stop every couple of miles and adjust it.

I think the problem is my fork shape, not the performance of the mudguards. I got fed up, took them off and bought an ass saver. Racebaldes have never been back on since, two months later.

Top Bottom