SKS RaceBlade Long to CAAD8

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DickP

Regular
Good morning gents,

I'm looking to fit the SKS RaceBlade to my CAAD8 frame, however I have got 25c tyres fitted and as such there is tight clearances between the brake calliper and tyre. Does anyone know if the RaceBlade Long by SKS will fit in this scenario or am I looking at the short SKS RaceBlade?

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I suspect the long would take a 25 tyre. Ask the retailer though or check the tech docs. Also make sure you get the mk2's as the clips on the mk1's fail. If they do fit they are far far better than standard Raceblades.

@DickP as Hacienda mentioned, the MK2's will fit 25c no problem lots of clearence around the tyre.( I have 25c conti gators on my bikes) Due to the clip design they will get through tight clearences around the brake calipers. I have them on my Carbon road bike with very tight clearences. However mine is a small frame and the rear extension that goes behind the seat post has to be cut down to nearly nothing so I did not bother with it. It does make changing wheels a bit of a faff with the cllips on the QR. I find the springs that go on the clips that go where the brakes are , are very stiff to get off, my thumbs are not up to it I used a handy piece of metal to press on them.
You will still get crap all over your brakes with the MK2 due to the design . I find with mine the front extension ( bit of mudguard in front of the forks) bounces around a lot on rough roads. Though I mention some niggles, overall I like them and prefer them to crud roadracers which I found I had to adjust every ride, nice and long, keep most of the spray of your feet and the guy behind will appreciate them. Seem solid enough at the moment though if you keep taking them off and on I suspect the clip mounts will bend and weaken.

OP
OP
D

DickP

Regular
Thank you for the replies. HarryTheDog, to give you an example of how tight the clearance is, I cannot fit the Crud RoadRacer guards any more since going with 25c tyres as there is not enough of a gap between the tyre and brake. Is this going to be a similar issue with the bracket that is used to join the two parts of the SKS MK2 Road Racer long?

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
You need about 1.5 mm clearance to fit the bracket.
tmp_20730-DSC_0112911292754.JPG

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
Looks like they have changed it since the Mk1. 23s as expected fit fine, but 25 are so close that any grit rubs - and in the wet that seems to be all the time.

I might have to fire off an email to SKS to see if they can sell just the brackets.

OP
OP
D

DickP

Regular
Paul, are you saying it is the Mk1 which has the rubbing problem?

lpretro1

It's a lottery as amount of clearance, if any, depends on what make/model of bike and the guard you are trying to fit. Some bikes will just not take them. So unless you can get a cast-iron 'yes' from somebody who has fitted your chosen guard to the same make/model of bike you have it might not work :smile:

potsy

Rambler
It's a lottery as amount of clearance, if any, depends on what make/model of bike and the guard you are trying to fit. Some bikes will just not take them. So unless you can get a cast-iron 'yes' from somebody who has fitted your chosen guard to the same make/model of bike you have it might not work :smile:
Plus one man's 25c tyre might be different from anothers, they don't all have the same dimensions.
My Durano+ 23's are more like a 25 in other makes.

I had the original Raceblades on my Caad8, now it is guard-less and only used in dry weather :whistle:

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
Paul, are you saying it is the Mk1 which has the rubbing problem?
The MK1 was fine with 23s, and so close with 25s that a clean tyre wouldn't rub, but any bits of gravel would. That was with Michelin endurance Pro 4 tyre, in both 23 and 25. They were fitted to a Specialized Roubaix with 105 brake callipers, mounted with an effort to get the most possible clearance. Your tyre, brake and fork combo may be better or worse.

I remember the adverts for the mk1 saying they were for 23 tyre only.

It seems the new mk2 is for 25s.

OP
OP
D

DickP

Regular
Good evening gents,

Just thought I'd give a brief update. I fitted the SKS Long as suggested and whilst they were a bit fiddly to fit they appear to be okay. The only area which seemed to have very tight clearance is under the front forks as it appears the U shape of where the forks come together means the bracket can't sit flush. Apart from that no contact or rubbing. Just got to do a few miles now to be double sure!

Cheers!

Top Bottom