Slack chain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Killiekevin

Hi.

Looking for some advice about an issue I'm having with my chain. I have a 16 speed, road bike.

I've noticed recently that when in the small ring at the front and probably smallest 3 rings at the back that the chain feels quite loose when stationary. When pedalling it seems okay, I still get drive out of it and can still maintain my normal speed but when coasting it seems loose or if I pedal backwards.

Doesn't seem to be an issue in the big ring, or with a small at the front, big at the back combination.

Bike is about 6 months old, entry level and does about 100 miles per week. Maybe less with winter months that have just gone.

S-Express

What you describe is normal. Cross chaining on small/small is not ideal anyway. Make better use of your gears.

U

User32269

As a general rule it is not wise to use big ring at front with big rings at back, or small rings at front with small at back. The chain line is not good and it causes more strain and wear.

gazza1286

The chain could be too long. If it's not causing a problem I would leave it until the chain needs replacing and make sure the new chain is correctly sized rather than assume the existing one is correct.
There's plenty of advice online. There's also an app which calculates the length for you.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=me.afwd.clc

You could count the existing links and compare to the 'advised' length.

OP
OP
K

Killiekevin

Its the original chain.

I get the whole cross chaining no no but never thought that being in 6th gear would constitute cross chaining.

Just annoying me as im sure I would have noticed it before if it had always been doing it

Last edited:

gbb

Legendary Member
Its the original chain.

I get the whole cross chaining no no but never thought that being in 6th gear would constitute cross chaining.

Just annoying me as im sure I would have noticed it before if it had always been doing it
In simple terms, any time your chain is not straight between the front and rear, it's cross chaining, depending which combination of gears you're in, it's a bit or a lot.
Some cross chaining is inevitable during normal use.

I asked if the chain had been replaced at any time because if it has....it's possible it wasn't made up to the right length.
If it hasn't been changed, it's highly unlikely to be wrong, so perhaps as Tim Hall says, check the rear mech is pivoting properly keeping the chain under tension.

Ajax Bay

Guru
There are two springs acting to maintain chain tension: the one around the bolt which fastens to the hanger/frame, and the one which twists the cage. You can check these qualitatively by pulling the RD back (ie towards the rear of the bike) and 'feeling' the tension, and seeing the cage rotate when you do so, and returning when you let it return forward. But an image with the chain on small/small should allow us to give an opinion.

Top Bottom