Slack chain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jimmy Welch

Hi I've recently fitted a new chain , same length as old one , but when in lower gear there's is a heck of a lot of slack which is causing the chain to come off frequently especially on bumpy sections and when changing up to the big ring. My thoughts are the rear mech might not be working properly and needs adjusting or the front derailleur is not doing its job

Attachments

• IMG_20220130_144304MP.jpg
    IMG_20220130_144304MP.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 14
Clear pic of chain and rear mech in lowest gear...

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Need to see clearly a picture of the rear mech from the side but initial thoughts are that the chain is too long. Did you remove any links from the new chain to make it the same length as the original (assuming the original wasn't too long).

Ajax Bay

Guru
You are showing the chain in small/small. Let's just have an in focus image of the rear derailleur from the right side (ie along the wheel axle) with the chain in small/small: static!! Like Skolly, snap assessment is chain too long. Then we can move to FD (just set up properly).
Edit: You should not be shifting up to large ring when in smallest sprockets: why would you?

Last edited:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Pictures and videos just keep showing anything except what I and others have asked to see. :surrender:

Last edited by a moderator:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Hi I've recently fitted a new chain , same length as old one
If the old chain was a certain length, assuming that it was worn out, the new one should have the same amount of links, but it would be slightly shorter in length.
After checking this, is the rear derailuer working correctly? The tension on the chain should be taken up by the spring tension.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Assuming the chain is the right length, you've possibly got a sticky freehub, or even stickey jockey wheels, so you need to check. Remove wheel and see if freehub spins OK, then see if the jockey wheels do. I've just had to lube an upper jockey on my MTB as it was sticking.

OP
OP
J

Jimmy Welch

How's this

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220130-165838.png
    Screenshot_20220130-165838.png
    149 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_20220130-165838.png
    Screenshot_20220130-165838.png
    149 KB · Views: 14