Slack chain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
J

Jimmy Welch

The freehub is definitely not funtioning , the clicks gone and the pedals keep spinning yes it's been hammerd latley in some foul weather

OP
OP
J

Jimmy Welch

Morning ok a couple more pictures that may tell a story 1 the set up in smallest rings 2 in both big rings and a video of the freehub not working

Attachments

• IMG_20220131_100325MP.jpg
    IMG_20220131_100325MP.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20220131_100405MP.jpg
    IMG_20220131_100405MP.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 19

Lookrider

Been an Interesting post to follow and learn from
I'm just starting the home mechanics thing and this been good to show that a long chain turned out to be a free hub issue as well
So I learned from that
I also learn not just from this post but others
That there are indeed some quality advice
Some advisors who seem to 2nd guess
And some who unfortunately seem to berate users
Thanks to both Jimmy and fossyant for bearing with it
Your all here to help

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
some people are really just in need of a blow job

Where should people sign up for this very kind offer of yours?

PS I'm no expert, but that chain looks the right length for big/big but slack for little/ little which implies the derailleur doesn't have sufficient capacity. Assuming that's not the case, another possibility is that the pivot bolt isn't free to rotate- might be crudded up or corroded. WD40 and vigorous reciprocation is recommended in such a circumstance. (For the derailleur, not the blowjob, I hasten to add)

si_c

Guru
Morning ok a couple more pictures that may tell a story 1 the set up in smallest rings 2 in both big rings and a video of the freehub not working
The upper part of the chain should always remain in tension regardless of whether the chain is too long or not. In the first picture you show the chain is clearly too long, but also the upper part is slack. This means that @fossyant was correct in what he said above about the freehub being sticky - you need to get this either replaced or serviced as it can cause you to have an accident as it causes the derailleur and chain to behave unpredictably. Best case scenario is you find yourself unable to pedal forwards anymore, worst case you can end up in A&E - I've had both happen to me.

OP
OP
J

Jimmy Welch

Cheers Guys
Took the free hub apart , degreased , cleaned put back together with minimal lube , sounds ok , never seen a free hub with this pawl set up , any tips

Attachments

• IMG_20220131_132127MP.jpg
    IMG_20220131_132127MP.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20220131-172939.png
    Screenshot_20220131-172939.png
    243.9 KB · Views: 8

presta

Guru
That rear derailleur looks a bit on the short side, but if it was previously working ok then the chain's too long. Worn chains are longer than new ones, so the new one needs to be the same number of links as the old one, which is not necessarily the same length.

Top Bottom