Slack chain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
that chain looks the right length for big/big but slack for little/ little which implies the derailleur doesn't have sufficient capacity.
Irrespective of freehub, as said: chain is right length: see large/large image. So share the cassette range, the model of RD and the chain ring sizes (number of teeth) please, so we can zero in on the RD capacity.

OP
OP
J

Jimmy Welch

Hi RD is Ultegra , the chainring is 46 ( I will double check this ) FSA , the rear sprocket - let me do it by hand in the morning to make sure we get it right from the off , appreciate your input on this

Lookrider

Gents
Whilst you are talking about RD capacity
Too which I understand the maths to this calculation
Regarding double chainset and rear cassette etc
But ...how do you calculate it for a Single chain ring upfront like most new mtb bikes
Just curious that's all as I do not have such a bike

Ajax Bay

Guru
Nearly all RDs will have the spread (chain wrap) capacity for a (say) 11-40. But there another limit which will prevent the use of such a large largest sprocket with 'normal' RDs (ie ones not designed with dinner plates in mind).
If you have a 1x with a 40t chainring, a decent sized sprocket eg a 32t will get the same lowest gear you'd manage on a compact (34t/27t gives a 34" gear). And although out of spec most on here will say they've made a 32t sprocket work (I haven't tried: I have a triple and can fit a 28t inner for the hill fests (eg Mille Pennines) so a 12-28 cassette is fine).
HTH @Lookrider

Chains too long by a link or two and you need to adjust your cleats to stop your ankle rubbing the frame. Also eat more veggies, drink less beer, go to church every Sunday, read more books, fix your life and save the planet!!!.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Hi RD is Ultegra , the chainring is 46 ( I will double check this ) FSA , the rear sprocket - let me do it by hand in the morning to make sure we get it right from the off , appreciate your input on this
For the morning:
Number of teeth of both chain rings (46t and ?)
Model of RD - should be a number stamped on the back of the parallelogram cage: if Ultegra RD-6xxxx, I think.
Distance in mm between the RD pulley wheel axles
Smallest and largest sprockets.

OP
OP
J

Jimmy Welch

For the morning:
Number of teeth of both chain rings (46t and ?)
Model of RD - should be a number stamped on the back of the parallelogram cage: if Ultegra RD-6xxxx, I think.
Distance in mm between the RD pulley wheel axles
Smallest and largest sprockets.
Fantastic I'll get back to with you with all this in the morning

Lookrider

Jimmy
Have an attempt at calculating the capacity for yourself...its real easy and also helps you learn as you go along
And you will be doing the donkey work for the mechanics that are getting to the root causes if your issues for you

Capacity is the difference in sprocket of both front chainsets and rear cassette added together

Example in this setting up
50/34 chainset
11/28 cassette

50- 34= 16
28-11 = 17

Capacity is 16 + 17 = 33

The model number stamped on the RD ?
Look this RD up in shinmano docs or chain reaction description and it will tell you that RD capacity amongst other things such as the biggest sprocket that RD can take and the max "drop" in front chainset etc
It's all interesting and you be glad you read up about it as you may see for yourself something is not compatible

And the mechanics here will appreciate your input
If your drive train is within the shimamo recommendations then the mechanics here will further help your cause as there may be other issues above my education

OP
OP
J

Jimmy Welch

Jimmy
Have an attempt at calculating the capacity for yourself...its real easy and also helps you learn as you go along
And you will be doing the donkey work for the mechanics that are getting to the root causes if your issues for you

Capacity is the difference in sprocket of both front chainsets and rear cassette added together

Example in this setting up
50/34 chainset
11/28 cassette

50- 34= 16
28-11 = 17

Capacity is 16 + 17 = 33

The model number stamped on the RD ?
Look this RD up in shinmano docs or chain reaction description and it will tell you that RD capacity amongst other things such as the biggest sprocket that RD can take and the max "drop" in front chainset etc
It's all interesting and you be glad you read up about it as you may see for yourself something is not compatible

And the mechanics here will appreciate your input
If your drive train is within the shimamo recommendations then the mechanics here will further help your cause as there may be other issues above my education
Thanks very much , I'll get on it later incidentally this derailleur came with the original bike from new but I did change the big chain ring in the Autumn , this is the last area of bike maintenance I haven't done myself and it's fascinating how it's set up I've done brakes , wheels , spokes , BB , headsets , gears , sprockets , and now derailleur set up , thanks again really appreciate the input

OP
OP
J

Jimmy Welch

As an aside I opened up the hub and the picture below shows it set up , I've cleaned up the pawls and the rest but does anyone have advice about the rest of this hub in terms of maintenance

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220131-172939.png
    Screenshot_20220131-172939.png
    243.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20220131_132137MP.jpg
    IMG_20220131_132137MP.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 7

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
As an aside I opened up the hub and the picture below shows it set up , I've cleaned up the pawls and the rest but does anyone have advice about the rest of this hub in terms of maintenance
You generally need to do very little with these Mavics. Only thing is to ensure the bearing is running smooth, if you can get to it, pop the seal off and grease. If not, you'll need bearing removal tools. The nylon bush can wear and 'howl' but a clean up and some light oil can fix them. Otherwie it's replace the 'bush'.

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom