Slam your bars?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milzy

Guru
I would like to remove 2 spacers but I don’t wish to cut my steering tube. Where can I find a long stem bolt coller insert thing? What are they called? To make it safe.

Thanks.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
image.jpg
like this...

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
Yes, maybe that’s safe. I’m thinking you need a deeper insert if you do cut your tube?

A lot of bike manufacturers use a standard fork and steerer, despite the frame size. This invariably means that smaller frames, with shorter head tubes, leave an excess of steerer poking up. In order to get the correct headset pretension, you either cut the steerer down, or put spacers in. I’d rather cut the steerer, than have spacers all over the place.

Do you mean a long steerer bung? View attachment 429142
You’d generally only use that for a carbon steerer.

si_c

Guru
I've more or less slammed my stem, but I've kept the spacers above anyway. I quite like the idea of being able to get a more upright position should I need to.

Once you've had the spacers above for a while you don't really notice it and for me preserving the flexibility of height adjustments outweighs any aesthetic concerns.

screenman

Legendary Member
Just about to flip the stem on my 29er to take the bars lower, I am getting more pins and needles during each ride which is it seems made worse by being more upright, I would have figured the opposite as well.

Top Bottom