sleeping at work

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Johnny Thin

I've got a camping mat in my cupboard, in the warmer months I'll go off with it and get 30 mins. I used to have a nap every single day as there was a house where I could leave my bike, shower and stop over if needed, no longer available.

Years ago I was noise testing air conditioning in bathrooms (I've gone down in the world since then). Was in one flat and the bathroom just wouldn't pass the test. Then I lifted up the hardboard being used to protect a bath and there was a bathroom fitter fast asleep and snoring. Once he'd gone, it passed first time.

Fewer years ago I was working on a fixed mooring barge. Finished my job and found a quiet corner, only to wake up as the generator went off and the last crew boat left (with the last radio). I wasn't too down as the night shift were due to come out on by return, only they'd been stood down for 6 hours. Worst of all, no-one even missed me!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
A friend of mine works in a place where they have a planned kip time... you aren't allowed to phone between 11 and 12 am approximately in case you disturb them.

gbb

Legendary Member
There was a culture of sleeping in my last job. You felt hard done by if you didnt get 6 hours on night shift :biggrin:
I had a space about 8 foot up in some racking, and i used to slide some boxes in front of me so i couldnt be seen.
After a couple of oversleeps, i took a wind up alarm clock to make sure it didnt happen again....
So, i lay there one night...i heard a supervisor coming into the stores :becool: I lay still.....:sad: he's moseying round....bugger off i thought as i lay there....someone else comes in, and the supervisor says...'i can hear something ticking' :ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:
I lay there, as he started to climb the racking where i'm laid...:ohmy::ohmy:

As he did, a tannoy went off asking him to report to the office, he climbed down and went off xx(xx(:biggrin:
He'd been 2 feet away from me :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

It wouldnt have been too bad if he'd caught me, we knew each other well....but what the eye doesnt see.......

This kind of behaviour is what prompted my signature below....

gbb

Legendary Member
As i said, there was a culture of sleeping at my last employers...taken to extremes sometimes.
We had the 'Engine room'..a cavernous room filled with huge 300HP compressors, air compressors and various equipment.
If two of you were face to face and talking to each other...you couldnt hear anything, it was SO noisy....the din was endless.

We wandered in there one day...and there sat Joe, at a panel taking readings, pad and pen still in hand.....head slumped...spark out :becool::biggrin::biggrin:

You couldnt find a less comfortable place to sleep if you tried...but Joe managed :sad:

Plax

Guru
I hope you part timers don't work where I do. I found the same security guard that had locked me in the site one weekend fast asleep in his hut one evening a few weeks later (it doesn't pay to work late or at the w/e in my job - they forget about you). He was slumped on the desk with the dog end of a roll up in his hand. I was like "HELLO, open the effin barrier I want to go home!!!!". He eventually woke up looking quite startled. At least he hadn't locked all the gates that time!

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

Twenty Inch said:
Disabled toilet for me. Warm, quiet, large enough to lie down in, no-one goes there.

Tried that... even using a laptop and a fleece as a pillow. However, someone always tries the handle, and sometimes imagine it's someone in a wheelchair needing a wee, and I feel guilty

longers

Legendary Member
I worked for a few summers as a General Assistant in a Lake District hotel and had the keys to the bar. Only once was I tired enough from the night before to lock the door behind me and kip on the floor.
I guess I had more stamina then, I'd be doing it on a weekly basis nowadays.

Top Bottom