sleeping bag

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slybacon

hi. I am planning two trips this year ,one to islay in beginning of June and one to holland/germany in August and September. I need a new sleeping bag and want one that is as compact as possible. do I go for cheap one season bag and supplement it with a liner and bivi bag or should I buy good quality down bag that will be slightly larger in price and size . many thanks for words of advice

stumpy66

Veteran
I think youll need more than a one season bag for Islay:smile: i use a three season Vango,down bag with a silk liner between May and Septemebr, packs down small and its light, well under a kilo

Cow Pie

Pay the extra and get a sleeping bag that will be waterproof and warm over a wider range.
Vango venom/viper range and the Snugpak range are all great if a bit pricey. Warm, pack small and are light. Just google them and you will see loads of information on them.
If you want to pay less and are willing to carry more weight and size then look for the latest ex-military British or American army bag. Very warm, waterproof (gortex ones). The British ones have a central zipper which is handier than it may sound. Go for the large if you go for the British military one as the medium only comes up to your chin. Google ex-military uk and you will see all you need to know.
Personally when I went on deployment I would use my own bag (Vango) and I was always warm. Only used the military one when I was in the arctic.
Hope this helps :smile:

OP
OP
S

slybacon

cheers . forgot to say my tour is on bike which is why I thought you guys would have ideas . I need to fit gear into panniers

OP
OP
S

slybacon

hi, looked at all vango venom range , do you think the 200 would suffice if backed up with fleece liner . it would be perfect for summer trip to Holland Germany , but don't want to be cold if using in this country at end of may.

snorri

Legendary Member
want one that is as compact as possible. do I go for cheap one season bag and supplement it with a liner and bivi bag or should I buy good quality down bag that will be slightly larger in price and size .
From what I remember of my last purchase, the cheaper bags were not necessarily smaller than the more expensive and more efficient bags.The quality of the liner is also important for comfort. Waterproof bags are much more expensive and an unnecessary extravagance if you have a tent, IMV.
The bed roll or mattress you lay the sleeping bed on will also affect your comfort and warmth. You could get away with a cheaper sleeping bag if you have a good (ie providing good insulation) bedroll/airbed.
I found a 10mm foam bedroll provided adequate comfort to let me get off to sleep, but failed to insulate me sufficiently from the cold ground causing me to wake up due to the cold in the middle of the night.

OP
OP
S

slybacon

I have a 3/4 thermarest a friend gave me . so think it is pretty good ,

Cow Pie

hi, looked at all vango venom range , do you think the 200 would suffice if backed up with fleece liner . it would be perfect for summer trip to Holland Germany , but don't want to be cold if using in this country at end of may.

re the vango venom 200. Just spoke to a buddy who has used one for a few years. Said he has travelled around Europe with it (a few autumn trips too) and it has never let him down. So it shouldn't be a problem. He never bought a fleece liner.
If you are remotely worried about being cold I would recommend getting a cheap oversized ex-military norgie thermal top. Soft, warm and comfy to get some horizontal hours in. Very lightweight and easy to pack up. Should cost about £10 off ebay.

Top Bottom