sleeping bag

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephenjubb

Über Member
thinking of getting a Mountain Equipment Classic 400 Sleeping Bag

in the description it states

NEW Primaloft / Down filled Gemini collar baffles create a comfortable seal to keep heat in

does anyone know what this means? does it have a draw string so the neck baffle can be pulled tight around ones neck?

willem

Über Member
I'm not really sure, to be honest. Primaloft is a synthetic insulation material.
Willem

Alves

Mt Equipment are a reliable brand and make good bags so you won't go far wrong.
All quality "mummy" style bags (the shaped ones not the oblong bags for use in caravans and houses) have drawstrings that allow you to seal yourself in and keep out the cold (actually, strictly speaking its keeping in the heat, I suppose).
Some bags have a lower drawstring around the neck AND the usual one at the end of the bag to close it around the shoulders AND the nose/face.

jay clock

Massive member
hard to describe, but what I think it means is this

Imagine the straight (ish) sides of the bag. You then have the rounded bit at the top.

draw a line between the top of the two straight bits, and you may find there is an extra bit of filled material (like a small stuffed ddraft excluder for a door) that helps keep warmth from escaping - certainly a couple of mine have that

If it helps I have a very expensive superlight bag and it was excellent in France last week. Would be ok to about 5-6 deg I reckon if I had clothes on too see here http://www.phdesigns.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=26_60&products_id=198

willem

Über Member
I am also considering an ultralight PHD bag, but was a bit concerned that these very light bags may be too cold. Yours is rated at 8 degress - do you think that is realistic? I was considering a 5 degree model, but only if the 5 degrees is indeed a bit realistic.
Willem

andym

Über Member
jay clock said:
If it helps I have a very expensive superlight bag and it was excellent in France last week. Would be ok to about 5-6 deg I reckon if I had clothes on too see here http://www.phdesigns.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=26_60&products_id=198

I tell you it was b@stard cold on the Isle of Purbeck at the Bank Holiday weekend! I ended up wearing all my clothes, plus a fleece liner (latter definitely recommended). Mind you there was frost on two of the nights; so yes 5-6 degrees might be a reasonable estimate.

willem

Über Member
Andym, I a do not quite understand what you say. Do you mean to say that you also have a PHD rated at 8 degrees but only kept yourself warm by wearing lot of clothing?
Willem

jay clock

Massive member
The website for my PHD says 8 degrees. I think I was helped by my Exped Downmat as that provides superb insulation from the ground, and I also have a silk liner which I think helps. In bed I was wearing the next day's cycling shorts (liner from my baggy shorts) plus a Merino baselayer with long sleeves.

The difficulty is that you can only really test these things by going and trying to sleep in a tent on cool/chilly night (pref with a thermometer handy!) and see how you get on.

The PHD bag is stunningly small when packed

andym

Über Member
willem said:
Andym, I a do not quite understand what you say. Do you mean to say that you also have a PHD rated at 8 degrees but only kept yourself warm by wearing lot of clothing?
Willem

Willem

Indeed. I had the PHD Minimus and a fleece sleeping bag liner; but as I said in my earlier post, there was a ground frost so temperatures must have been well below 8 degrees.

(To assist in comparison - I was using a Bozeman Mountainworks TorsoLite mat which is about as minimal as you can get - the r-value is 3.5 as opposed to 5 or so for the Exped.

The Americans talk about 'warm' and 'cold' sleepers - I guess I'm a cold sleeper.

The PHD stuff is excellent in terms of a warmth/weight ratio (I love my Minimus down gilet) but there are limits to what you can expect from what is really a summer bag.

I have a PHD Combo bag for use with the Minimus in colder weather, I think if you're looking for three-season use in northern Europe that's probably the combination to consider. I also think my fleece bag liner was a very good investment in that it takes up very little room, doesn't weigh much but provided a useful amount of extra warmth. for winter use I might well consider an Exped mat.

andym

Über Member
jay clock said:
In terms of warmth per gram I think a silk liner is a great investment.

Indeed, and it helps keep you expensive sleeping bag clean. I think I'm going to end up touring with a modular system - silk liner, fleece liner, and bag which together with my clothes should give me the ability to cover a wide range of temperatures without being too hot or too cold.

Top Bottom