Sleeping Mat Recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lane

Veteran
For my son who is doing the D of E silver and has asked for a new sleeping mat to replace the Tesco one he has. Any thoughts?

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Whats your budget?

OP
OP
lane

lane

Veteran
He has just been on a three day practice. He noticed some of the other mats people had were smaller, lighter and more confortable. He is not one to ask for the sake of it or expect staff that costs top dollar. He has looked into it and suggested a Hikenture for £30. So I guess around £30 might be a reasonable budget but open to suggestions.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
In that case, I can highly recommend this.
I've had the previous version of it for about 4 years and it's done quite a few camp outs.
You can forget about any form of insulation in it, but I solved that issue with a cheapo emergency foil blanket (which would be handy in an emergency situation anyway) between the mat and ground.
It isn't self inflating either but that keeps the weight down and the self inflaters that I have tried in the past were useless and needed blowing anyway. It doesn't take long though.
Mine packs up to about the size of a coke can but it looks the newer model might be a teeny bit bigger.
The only mat that might be better I think would be a thermarest of some sort, but they cost a fortune and are prone to delaminating. So I've heard.

728D3F87-6BF0-4DBC-B629-101A2ED7C032.jpeg
I have this from Decathlon

It’s comfortable but not overly insulated. It packs up to 250mm long x 150 diameter

Also, It doesn’t deflate overnight like others that I have had.

I’m not sure you can beat bang for buck on decathlon stuff tbh, I doubt I paid anywhere near £30 for it.

albal

Guru
Selling my mountain equipment helium 3.0. It's so comfortable. The pack size is a little large for my small bags. £30

OP
OP
lane

lane

Veteran
@albal I have checked the mountain equipment website and it shows a 2.5 or 3.8 - no 3.0?

eswar

Just got this the other day:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Trekology-...ds=trekology&qid=1557430119&s=gateway&sr=8-12

It's £30 with discount on the page applied.
As with many modern inflatable mattress reliability remains to be seen, but it seems to be good quality and it's very comfortable. There is a more recent version that is slightly concave so as not to roll off it, but that one doesn't come with an inflation pump sack by the looks of it. This version comes with the pump bag and a stuff sack. I'd also recommend their pillow. Some people seem to get on fine with clothes stuffed into a bag for a pillow but I always find that really uncomfortable

Last edited:
Top Bottom