slight problem with ASLs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The majority of the time, ASLs do their job. They give you a bit of time to get away, when the lights change, and allow you to take a safe position. That is of course, unless the vehicle behind you, is a truck. I had a little poke around in a concrete delivery type truck, and a tipper truck a while back. What astonished me was that if you position your bike in the ASL, and the thing behind you is a truck, if they haven't got the downward facing mirror fitted to the cab, they cannot see you on a bike. The ASL is in the worst place that it can be. The presence of the ASL could actually fool the unwary cyclist into actually putting themselves at increased risk, where as if there was no ASL, then most cyclists would not deliberately go in front of the truck.:wacko:.

I suspect you're right but you've also put your finger on a bigger problem. Most of the main road user communities just don't have enough insight into what it's like being one of the others but they often think they do or assume it's just someone else's problem. I drive a car regularly and commute by bike every day but I've really no idea what anything bigger than a transit van can see behind them etc.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Thread is mistitled. I suggest it should be "Serious problem with trucks". The truck could roll up behind a cyclist in a non-ASL queue, forget they're there and then run them over when the lights change (didn't that happen in east London?), or a pedestrian could have crossed unawares or anything. Please support the campaign to End Lorry Danger when you get chance (with your local campaign group if not London).

martint235

Dog on a bike
I don't think it is mistitled. ASLs present themselves as being a safe haven for cyclists at the front of the traffic queue when they are anything but.

One could argue that the campaign page is mistitled, trucks don't kill anyone it's the people in and around them that make them unsafe.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
next_time_you_try_to_evade_a_truck_blind_spot-527634.jpg

blindspot.jpg

It's not a problem with trucks, it's not a problem with ASLs. It is again, a problem with drivers.

You should be stopping the vehicle where you can see the line. If you can see the line, you can see everything inside that box also.

The truck could roll up behind a cyclist in a non-ASL queue, forget they're there and then run them over when the lights change (didn't that happen in east London?)

It happens frequently, that's how Sebastien Lukowmski and Mary Bowers both had their lives ended. Both waiting at lights, hgv driver comes up behind and is either playing with a phone or didn't notice the cyclist, sets off and crushes them.

Drago

Legendary Member
The majority of the time, ASLs do their job. They give you a bit of time to get away, when the lights change, and allow you to take a safe position. That is of course, unless the vehicle behind you, is a truck. I had a little poke around in a concrete delivery type truck, and a tipper truck a while back. What astonished me was that if you position your bike in the ASL, and the thing behind you is a truck, if they haven't got the downward facing mirror fitted to the cab, they cannot see you on a bike. The ASL is in the worst place that it can be. The presence of the ASL could actually fool the unwary cyclist into actually putting themselves at increased risk, where as if there was no ASL, then most cyclists would not deliberately go in front of the truck.:wacko:.

This is why we teach to stop behind the first vehicle in the queue. It also lets them have the hassle of getting the queue moving, any late RLJ'ers cutting across them etc.

Top Bottom