slight problem with ASLs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I know. I asked you what you were calling pointless. Mary hasn't communicated since the hgv driver playing with a phone failed to notice her and crushed her. Her life ended that day.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I know. I asked you what you were calling pointless. Mary hasn't communicated since the hgv driver playing with a phone failed to notice her and crushed her. Her life ended that day.
So you believe there is no hope for her and there is no reason to keep her in a rehabilitation facility?

Pete Owens

blindspot.jpg
This phots show why ASLs are such a good idea - AND also why the safety benefit is principally where there is an HGV behind. Yes - there is a blind spot immediately in front of the cab - The ASL allows you to position yourself in front of that thus in the driver's direct field of view. The dangerous place to be is the blind spot beside the truck.

Yup. Ditto

I don't even like the guy, but @glenn forger has a point. You don't need to to die for your life to end. Even with a lot of rehab. Your life, as you knew it has gone. Your whole new life is trying to recover something of the old. Because a HGV driver didn't stop where he could see the ASL. If I was crushed by a HGV, and survived, I'd still consider my life to be over.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
If something comes up behind me at the lights such as a lorry, or even a car that comes too close I'm happy to move forward over the line as long as I can see the lights.

I also watch for the lights changing and don't hang around when they do change, over that short distance I could easily beat a lorry from stationary. I'm more worried by them coming up beside me so I'm never waiting near the kerb as a I see a lot waiting.

martint235

Dog on a bike
This phots show why ASLs are such a good idea - AND also why the safety benefit is principally where there is an HGV behind. Yes - there is a blind spot immediately in front of the cab - The ASL allows you to position yourself in front of that thus in the driver's direct field of view. The dangerous place to be is the blind spot beside the truck.
Utter b****cks. The photo shows that almost all of the ASL is in the blindspot. The only safe place in the photo is behind the truck off to the left (so you have an escape route if he starts to reverse)

martint235

Dog on a bike
Nowt wrong with ASLs. They are part of our built environment. If certain motor vehicles are incompatible, then they shouldn't be on the road.
There's a lot wrong with them, the main thing being that they give an utterly false sense of safety. They also encourage cyclists to go for that dodgy filter that they otherwise wouldn't attempt just to get to the ASL.

Do away with them, make cyclists respected members of the standard traffic flow. Simples

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
There's a lot wrong with them, the main thing being that they give an utterly false sense of safety. They also encourage cyclists to go for that dodgy filter that they otherwise wouldn't attempt just to get to the ASL.
Except it's not usually dodgy if they're to spec (and the left entry lane isn't too narrow, as it often is). Only if there's a defective lorry behind, or you Must Get In Front if the lights change as you approach.

Do away with them, make cyclists respected members of the standard traffic flow. Simples
How would making cyclists wait in line between wide motor vehicles and breathe in their exhaust be respecting them? Surely rolling out the red carpet and letting them go first with a pre green is more respect!

martint235

Dog on a bike
Except it's not usually dodgy if they're to spec (and the left entry lane isn't too narrow, as it often is). Only if there's a defective lorry behind, or you Must Get In Front if the lights change as you approach.

How would making cyclists wait in line between wide motor vehicles and breathe in their exhaust be respecting them? Surely rolling out the red carpet and letting them go first with a pre green is more respect!
The left hand lane is what, 5 metres. I've seen people squeezing down the line from 20 metres away.

As for breathing fumes, stop being a nob. You're breathing fumes all the time you're out in traffic. It's unfortunate but it's fact. Even so being part of the traffic doesn't stop you moving about just don't do it in an attempt to reach a false safe haven

You don't like cyclists do you?

Top Bottom